Has anybody had Four Wheel replace a roof?

RajaZoie

We just had a significant (golf ball sized) hailstorm that beat the heck out of the roof of our 2015 Hawk, creating a couple of cracks and a LOT of dents. This is insured so I'm thinking we should push for a roof replacement but I'm wondering if anybody has gone through that with Four Wheel? Thoughts? Cautions?
Thanks!

I had the roof re-skinned on my Grandby by the guys at ATC a couple years ago. They did a great job, no leaks and it looks factory fresh (I guess it is :unsure: ) .

I was not satisfied with the one piece roof on my ‘14 Grandby, it made noise. If I had kept that camper, I would probably asked ATC to replace it with the older style two piece roof.

I am guessing you live near Boulder. We are in the same situation with our 2016 Fleet - the roof looks like the surface of the moon, but as far as I can see, no actual penetrations of the aluminium skin. I am wondering if it is worth doing anything about it. I am also guessing I will need new solar panels - thankfully we didn't glue them down.

We do live near Boulder :). 2 of the dents were deep enough to crack the roof so that’s really the issue. I would guess the other dents could weaken the roof overall but if they aren’t leaking or cracked I would be less concerned. Our solar panel seems to have survived it.

Forgive my ignorance but ATC is not affiliated with Four Wheel, right? But they did your re-skin? How does that work?

Have you called FWC? Would be interested in their reply and estimated price. Hail dented roofs are probably common. I’ve been through some major storms but no damage yet, knock on wood!

If you talk to Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Campers, let us know what you find out. It seems like there are two options - re-skin the existing roof, or just replace the whole roof. To do the job right, it seems that you would have to remove the roof from the camper anyway, which makes me wonder if it would be better to just have them replace the whole thing, particularly if insurance is paying.

While I am sure ATC could do this, I would talk to RMFWC first - I am not sure ATC is using a one piece roof, and you would need to get it to CA.

I had FWC re-skin the roof on my first (2003) Hawk around 10 years ago - the previous owner forgot to unlatch one of the front latches and tweaked the corner. At the time they were still using the 2 piece roof and they did a great job. The idea of a 1 piece roof sounds great as far as preventing leaks but I've read several posts about people not liking it for various reasons. If all-Terrain Campers can replace the roof on your '15 Hawk I would highly recommend them - they do excellent work and are very reasonable $$$.

Good luck!!

Thanks all. I'll start with Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel since they are local to me (and Chris was great in helping us order and install ours). I would definitely want a new roof vs re-skinning but I'll see what he says and report back.

Yes, the camper is covered with the truck it sits on. Our insurance company has told us to go get a damage estimate from our shop of choice. An auto body shop won't be qualified (I don't think) to make an estimate on the camper so I'm going to have to get the body damage estimate from an auto body shop and the camper estimate from Four Wheel. At least that's the approach I'm taking at the moment. Four Wheel may have more guidance.

My understanding is older screw attached roofs could be reskinned by but the new glued roof is "one piece". A few years ago, the quote was $3000+ for a new glued roof. ATC replacement roofs are screwed. I am not an expert but this is my understanding.

Marty at ATC will tell you that technically their roofs are "one" piece.
Although it is two sections of roofing material the the roof is "factory" seamed so to make it one piece.
I would check with Marty but I don't think there has been any problems with the roof failure at the seam.
That "one" piece material is then screwed to the roof frame making a strong bond and not getting that
oilcan noise that some owners have mentioned.
You may not have to get the camper to ATC,the Rocky Mountain outlet ,if they do repairs might be able to use the "two piece" roof.
Good luck.
Frank

Just spoke with Josh at RMFWC. Typically they don't replace the whole roof unless the damage extends to the headliner. I haven't popped the top yet to find out but I'll do that this weekend. I'm to send him photos and check the vents, solar panel, etc and he'll send me an estimate for the re-skin (provided no headliner damage) which I'll pass on to my insurance. They do these repairs locally so the camper won't need to go to California. We didn't talk timeline yet and he also said he's getting a lot of these calls. I'll do a more thorough damage assessment this weekend.
Rando - give them a call if you're contemplating getting your roof re-skinned.

Howdy

May I ask what insurance carrier ?

My insurance company, Sublimity in Oregon, refuses to address the camper with the truck.....demands separate coverage.

I have always been a little disappointed with this.

David Graves

I am on the north side of town. Very lucky to have no noticeable (new) damage. Granted my 30-year-old roof looks like it has seen hail once or twice before. Sorry about your rig, hope the process goes smoothly.

DavidGraves, we are with AllState. Can't comment yet on how they are with this process. I would be happy to update you as we go through it if that would be helpful.

DavidGraves said:
Howdy

May I ask what insurance carrier ?

My insurance company, Sublimity in Oregon, refuses to address the camper with the truck.....demands separate coverage.

I have always been a little disappointed with this.

David Graves
David, I think you are better off with a separate policy. I have State Farm, who will only cover the camper when on the truck, or stored on my owned or rented property. Plus, they don’t offer a sep policy to cover the other places I might remove it.

Back
Top Bottom