Has anyone dropped and extended the floor pack on an 80's FWC?

Tim DP

Howdy FWC tinkerers,

I am the proud new owner of a new to me 2004 Tundra Doublecab. I know I will need to elevate my '81 Fleet so it will clear the sides of the taller bed on the Tundra, and I'm aware of the 2x4 and insulation panel underlayment solutions. My question is if anyone out there has added height by dropping the floor pack and building the camper taller by adding height on to the bottom? I am 6'4 and stoop in my older FWC, and am intrigued by the idea of gaining interior height without replacing the tent material and lift panels, and since I need to raise the sides of the fleet anyway...
Is this a bad idea? Will it kill the structural integrity? Would wood work or should I have an aluminum/steel base fabricated?
I'd appreciate any advice and experience of the sage re-builders out there...

Thanks in advance.

Factory floorpack is wood, no reason you couldn't use the same if you wanted. Metals work as well, main thing is using the right sized stuff for what you're doing.

You will have to step up/over the door threshold though (unless you're replacing it with a taller door or lower the current door) so be aware of that tripping hazard.

If you just need to fill the gap between the bed and the base of the camper I would do a wood frame and fill it with rigid foam insulation. This will relieve the pressure off the truck bed rails and add some floor insulation.

Back
Top Bottom