Hatch, New Mexico, in the Food News!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
"Chile Pepper Capital Seeks to Preserve Roots", NPR story this morning.

Apparently, in New Mexico the "New Mexico" chile isn't just the name of a variety -- it needs to be New Mexican to be real. That is, a "New Mexico" chile from India isn't really.
Keep our ristras local!
So, Barko1 and highz, is it true that your lives in southern NM revolve around chiles?
biggrin.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that...mine does. Though, I think the only time I use New Mexico chiles is when making chile relleno casserole and a green chile chutney.

I thought all WtW chile lovers should know that we have a Chile and Frijoles Festival here in Pueblo, CO, every September.

Hmmm...If I drove my car it wouldn't be too expensive for a quick trip.
smile.gif

You do know that New Mexico has a State Question, right?

"Red or Green?"

Yes -- that was actually included in the NPR story .
biggrin.gif

It's in NM-native Linda Wertheimer's intro, in the audio version -- which is longer, but not in the text version.

Chile is pricier this year, farmers have planted more pecans (big water user!!) and cotton because the price on that is up and it does take less agua. Truth is most chile in the US is coming from Mexico. Food channel did a segment on a Hatch eatery, Sparkies BBQ, and Anthony Bourdain supposedly did one on a Mexican restaurant there. The Chili festival is Labor Day weekend, not really very exciting :LOL: but the smell of roasting chile should start in a few weeks and is intoxicating :)

Back
Top Bottom