Hauling a dual sport with a trailer - front or rear?

Ronanmd1

Hi everyone - looking for advice from the group. I currently have a 2013 Ram 2500 with a Hawk. On my trips, I typically tow a utility trailer loaded with gear and a fishing raft (total trailer weight is about 1500 lb loaded). I am looking at buying a small dual sport motorbike to act as a fishing shuttle. I am trying to figure out the best way to carry the bike. In particular, whether to mount the bike on a carrier that could sit in between truck and trailer or into a front mounted receiver that is incorporated as part of my Warn Gen II trans4mer winch tray. The tray is currently holding a 115 lb winch. The front receiver is bolted to the underside of the tray and is listed as Class III/IV on the Warn website. The bike I am looking at weighs 260 lb.

The obvious downside to mounting it behind the truck is the added length from truck to camper (increased load on receiver - which I don't think would be a big issue wth my 3/4 ton truck) and the pita factor of opening the camper door with the bike loaded. Potential issues with the front mount include a longer nose on the truck and worsened approach angle, possible obstructed airflow to radiator and maybe blocked headlamps (although I don't think this would be an issue with the bike I am looking at).

Thoughts or advice?
Jason

My .02, that's a lot of wt to add to the front. Any rough road travel and I expect you'll need a higher rated front springs and probably HD shocks.

No chance you could put on the current trailer or a bit bigger trailer ?

I think CA has some ordinance abt blocking the airbag sensor in an accident or some such hooey but if it’s cool in your state why not try it? Not overly heavy an you can keep an eye on it!

klahanie said:
My .02, that's a lot of wt to add to the front. Any rough road travel and I expect you'll need a higher rated front springs and probably HD shocks.

No chance you could put on the current trailer or a bit bigger trailer ?
Hey David - one option is to modify the trailer a bit and try to install a carrier onto the frame of it (the rails that sit in front of the main box might have enough space).

hebegebe said:
I think CA has some ordinance abt blocking the airbag sensor in an accident or some such hooey but if it’s cool in your state why not try it? Not overly heavy an you can keep an eye on it!
Hadn't heard of that up here in Canada...

Hi Jason
I would think any weight that you can put on th utility trailer would be better. JMO. Also I'm not a big fan of too much tounge weight, which loading the bike up front on the trailer would do.
There was a post recently about a receiver mounted carrier, where access to camper was possible.
Mounting a bike up front even at just 260lbs, is more than that I think as the leverage on the front axle, I don't think engineers design there stuff with that senerio in mind. Putting it on a trailer would be my choice. I have never loaded a motorcycle up front, and driven that vehicle. I've seen it done is all I can say, but doesn't make it good.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom