Have truck, need camper

realbtl

Contributors
Last weekend I looked at a Ranger II and decided it was just too small. This meant a new old truck. So, meet the new addition. It's a 1997 ex-Forest Service F250HD complete with the traditional spare mounted in the back. This truck is an XL which means manual everything; hubs, transfer case, windows, locks and transmission, a 5 speed w/granny low. About the only options are A/C and the off-road pkg. All of this is good on a 12 year old truck as I would rather repair a manual window than an electric. It has a 351 (start rant/NOT a 5.8L. You can call the new ones 5.4L or whatever but the 351 is a classic Ford motor. I mean, 5.8 Cleveland just doesn't roll off the tongue.\end rant) with the dual tanks for about 38 gallons capacity. This will make for good range, I just have to remind myself at fill up time that the mileage is the same. This helps make the $100 more acceptable.
Off to ATC on the 22nd to order a Cougar shell. Here's a picture from the drive home yesterday and, yes, that is fresh snow on the hillside. I'll post mileage figures after I fill it up (whimper).

Attachments

• Big green truck.jpg
    Big green truck.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 390
Nice Rig!!!

realbtl,

We opted for an automatic with shift from the cab 4WD on the truck we have now and I miss the control and mileage the standard transmission and locking hubs offer. We'll probably switch back next time.

Like your new rig a lot!

Happy Trails!
'birds

realbtl,

We opted for an automatic with shift from the cab 4WD on the truck we have now and I miss the control and mileage the standard transmission and locking hubs offer. We'll probably switch back next time.

Like your new rig a lot!

Happy Trails!
'birds

Same as 'Birds. Nice truck, and I'll go to manual everything on the next truck (in 2017?).

I'm hoping my Fiat will last forever or at until I croak. Which ever comes first but as much as I use I'd go with a stick next time.

I had a '94 just like it except white. It's a toss up between that truck & my '97 diesel crew cab as to which is my favorite truck of all the ones I've owned - & there have been many. I actually used to get 16 MPG with just camping gear & a couple people in it doing 80 mph going to Moab & averaged 12 mpg loaded for work - only a 2 - 4 mpg less than my diesel. The thing wheeled like a Jeep & handled on the road like a sports car thanks to the rear sway bar mine came with. All in all one of the best combination of parts Ford ever assembled - it just wouldn't fit my entire growing at the time family or I'd probably still have it. Thanks for posting - it brought back some fond memories.
Doug

I'm hoping my Fiat will last forever or at until I croak. Which ever comes first but as much as I use I'd go with a stick next time.

Really... I thought you were pretty happy with your auto... ya know, I think there is someone around here that has a CTD with a 6 speed... hmm.... :thumb:

Kyle,
I love my auto but I could pick up a few of MPG with a stick and I use the truck about as much as you do so it would be worth the trade off. If It were a daily driver it would be auto trans only.

Marty- The spare is being returned to the stock location this week. I'm thinking I will need a campaign hat to match the truck. I'll see you on the 22nd. Barney

Nice truck. I like the color. I looked at a 1/2 ton version the same color with the inline six a few years ago.

Here is my truck I bought about 6 months ago and how it looks today.Very similar, mine is a diesel. I agree about having a basic,simple truck.

P1310001.jpg

P7190004copy.jpg

got to love those older fords:thumb: my 89 had the 5 speed, the 96 has auto, like the auto when driving in heavy traffic, and with the 4x4 can always go into low range in off road conditions

Attachments

• f350 023.jpg
    f350 023.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 244
I'm not sure I believe this.

So I filled up the big green beast for the first time, 19.9 gal. and 332 mi. for 16.68 mpg. I kept going from tank to tank thinking "This can't be right" but couldn't get anymore in. On my way home from picking it up I checked the speedo against the mile markers and was .3 mi. off over 55 mi. so I believe the mileage is correct.

Now since this is my "slow" vehicle I kept it between 55 and 65 but, considering I had major head/side wind most of the way and crossed the Divide 3 times, was only expecting maybe 13-14. I'm not sure I'll believe this until I run a few more tanks through.

Really... I thought you were pretty happy with your auto... ya know, I think there is someone around here that has a CTD with a 6 speed... hmm.... :thumb:

That would be me with the CTD 6 speed. Love it.

My last truck was an '86 F150 302 with auto. It was ok for commuting, but I generally do not commute with my trucks. Much prefer the stick on the open road. My old Ford would get between 16-17 empty, but dropped to 8 with the camper. I would still be driving it if I had gotten an F250 with the 351 at the time.

realbtl, Nice truck! I still like the older Fords.

Attachments

• 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 204
That would be me with the CTD 6 speed. Love it.

My last truck was an '86 F150 302 with auto. It was ok for commuting, but I generally do not commute with my trucks. Much prefer the stick on the open road. My old Ford would get between 16-17 empty, but dropped to 8 with the camper. I would still be driving it if I had gotten an F250 with the 351 at the time.

realbtl, Nice truck! I still like the older Fords.

I have one as well... I was just giving Jay a hard time because we have joked back and forth about the 6spd or auto in the Dodge errr.. Fiat Ram 2500 CTD trucks. I have considered trading for an auto... he has considered trading for a manual... neither one of us wants to actually give up our truck though!

Back
Top Bottom