Hawk conversion from non sliding bed to sliding bed

pdxvon

Hi friends.
I have a 1999 Hawk. It sleeps east to west as it does not have the sliding tray and two extra cushions to make a queen (north to south).
Has anyone configured a successful conversion (pull out sliding bed)? Any thoughts or links to like articles would be helpful. I searched, but came up empty handed.
Thx!

pdxvon said:
Hi friends.
I have a 1999 Hawk. It sleeps east to west as it does not have the sliding tray and two extra cushions to make a queen (north to south).
Has anyone configured a successful conversion (pull out sliding bed)? Any thoughts or links to like articles would be helpful. I searched, but came up empty handed.
Thx!
I believe my 01 Hawk had the same problem and a previous owner built a slider. It's sturdy but heavy.
It's a possible solution but you may want to take a close look at a factory one for other ideas.

Here's a photo of a key portion of mine.... (click to enlarge)

HawkBedSlider.jpg

The main component is 5/8" plywood. It measures 33 inches wide and 77-1/4" long. Attached to the underside (on one side) is a full-length 1x1" steel tube. I can see screw heads in the plywood above the steel tube but it's not clear how the screws go into the wall of the steel tube.

The supports are 21-1/2" long. There are notches in one end of the supports for the tube in storage position. The tube goes past the end of the supports in extended position.

It's not clear why the supports weren't made longer. My camper has the extended cabover option so the cabover floor is 48" wide. Adding 21+ inches only gives a north-south length of around 71 inches. Perhaps that was enough for a N-S option for whomever built it but I would need 77" for my MegaMat 10 air mattresses. I could overhang it a bit but should add blocks if I wanted a north-south option.

The slider isn't particularly useful to us as my wife and I tend to sleep one-up/one-down, i.e., one east-west in the cabover and the other east-west below by the front window. And when I travel alone, I prefer to sleep below. I have occasionally used the slider as a pull-out shelf but really should just remove it for the weight savings.

-Old Crow

i have a 2016 hawk, and i dont use the extension. im tempted to sell the slider and cusions.

Back
Top Bottom