Hawk dimensions

rowthecanyon

Gathering info. and considering purchasing a Hawk or Grandby for my 2005 4 door short bed 2500HD Silverado. I have never seen one in person. Just what I have seen online......
1. Is the double bed a true double bed size-- which is 75 inches long?
2. Is there any significant benefit to the Grandby? I will have to leave my tailgate on in the down position to accomidate the Grandby. This will impede my access to my hitch for attaching a boat trailier or for attaching a rack for bicycles. Is it worth it?

Many thanks,

RTC

I dont know the size of one for a full size P/U but I have one off a Tacoma on my T-100. It is a Queen sized bed. I've never measured the Length but as a a 6 footer I have plenty of room and its quite comfortable.

Jay

Gathering info. and considering purchasing a Hawk or Grandby for my 2005 4 door short bed 2500HD Silverado. I have never seen one in person. Just what I have seen online......
1. Is the double bed a true double bed size-- which is 75 inches long?
2. Is there any significant benefit to the Grandby? I will have to leave my tailgate on in the down position to accomidate the Grandby. This will impede my access to my hitch for attaching a boat trailier or for attaching a rack for bicycles. Is it worth it?

Many thanks,

RTC

RTC;

1) Bed is 78" long. As you probably know there are 3 widths available, I would strongly suggest getting the extended cab-over and the 48" wide (fixed, medium width) bed, the wider bed has a slide out which takes away room in the main part of the camper.
2) I have had a previous 8' camper on a short bed truck, and did not care for it. That is why I went for the Hawk. It is really a personal preference, some people prefer the longer camper. The Hawk allows the tailgate to be used as a "back porch" for removing muddy boots etc. I also have a rear cargo carrier (folds and swings away) that makes a great rear porch. I would say you need to decide what type of ladder or steps you want and if you need a back porch or rear storage, the short door can make access rather awkward.
3) Shameless plug: My Hawk is still for sale you know

Cheers
Mark

http://www.rvhunter.com/page-16124.html

Mark,

1. When you state that the bed is 78 inches long are you referring to the bed over the cab or the bed that is also a couch with storage under it? FWC advertises the bed/couch/storage as a double bed. This is the bed that I cannot find the dimensions for anywhere. Having looked at your Hawk photos 2. I do not think that you have this bed because you built your own custom.
You mention that I can use the tailgate as a back porch. I did not think that I would be able to keep the tailgate on the truck if I had the Hawk (It would not allow it to close)-- is this not the case?

Thanks for you help,
RTC

Mark,

1. When you state that the bed is 78 inches long are you referring to the bed over the cab or the bed that is also a couch with storage under it? FWC advertises the bed/couch/storage as a double bed. This is the bed that I cannot find the dimensions for anywhere. Having looked at your Hawk photos 2. I do not think that you have this bed because you built your own custom.
You mention that I can use the tailgate as a back porch. I did not think that I would be able to keep the tailgate on the truck if I had the Hawk (It would not allow it to close)-- is this not the case?

Thanks for you help,
RTC

RTC;
1 & 2) Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you ment the cabover bed. You are right, my couch/bed is not the same (mine is the full length of the camper, about 78"x 24" in single bed mode), the standard model is probably shorter. When I bought mine they did not have the fancy new folding couch/bed option, the design looks good but I wonder how stable it is when folded out?

You can use the tailgate with the Hawk, but you are right, it can't be closed. I usually use my cargo carrier, or a custom rear bumper shelf/step, but I have used the tailgate on one recent short trip (too lazy to get the cargo carrier which is at the back of a very full storage unit). The tailgate worked fine but over very rough terrain you would have to secure it from bouncing up and hitting the camper.

Cheers
Mark

The settee fold-out bed in my 2006 Granby is 70"X38". This is the folded out dimensions. To reiterate: Get the extended cab-over. I have it and it is worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom