Hawk Leaks

Scotten

This summer I bought a well used 2001 Hawk. Been working on mods, i.e. to fit my truck and some interior mods I have now found out I have roof leaks. I was out of town in November and it rained quite a bit (Southern California) while I was gone. Stored outside with top down. When I raised the top I was surprised to see a lot of water pooling inside at the front passenger side at the upper bed.

I went ahead and cleaned all of the sealant at the exterior seal around the front area and on the side a bit. Today, more rain and still water inside. I was thinking of a few areas. One was the solar cable entry box or "gland". I removed it today and all was dry under the unit and it appeared the cables were not allowing water to enter. I re-sealed it and now am wondering where else it could be leaking from:
IMG_5165.jpeg

The 2" velcro is wet at the front corner from the side of the camper about 6-8 inches and then across the front maybe 18" on the passenger side. I have solar and I took the screws out that mount to the roof, squeezed some caulking in there and resealed. I also put caulking around the screws at the front of the rood (not all, just the front.
Solar Panel.jpeg

As stated above, I also removed previous loose caulking and replaced with Silaprene.

Any thoughts? I know water issues are the hardest to find. My camper is stored on a dolly I made and it's slanted a bit down hill so the water could travel but it seems I'd see evidence if it started toward the rear.

Attachments

• Roof Edge Sealing.jpeg
    Roof Edge Sealing.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 59
Sorry to hear about the leaks, they are very hard to track down! Luckily, I’ve not had roof leaks. However, the windows…..

Don‘t discount the windows as a potential water intrusion point, even with the top down. Water can get onto the vinyl and through the Velcro, and thus inside.

Any water stains on headliner material? Water can leak at the screw down points on the roof skin. I had a small leak from a few, then I resealed all the roof screws.

I had the water enter 2 times. Once with top down and the next storm I left it up. I finally realized (duh) that the water may leak down into a 1'x1" tube and then transfer down that tube till it exits. It could also just drip where it may exit from a screw hole, etc. This one is pretty specific to the front driver and especially passenger corner.

After looking at some other posts I went ahead and cleaned the top and removed the solar panel to work on the mounts there too. I found silicone under other sealants on the screw heads so i removed the screws and cleaned around each one. I think the silicone is not proper so I worked on each one to remove it and then resealed it with a screw, bonded neoprene washer and Silaprene sealant.

I also went around and dabbed Silaprene on all of the screws holding the top trim. I also cleaned and then added some sealant around the vent. I could see a little line that opened up if I put a little pressure on it so I sealed it.

We have a storm coming here this week. Another test. Hope I stay dry. If not I'm going to be pretty irritated. I had some pics but need to save the files smaller to add here. Will do when I have time.

Thanks for the replies.

I had a leak at the same location but while driving in rain. The black rubber weather seal that wraps around the front and back a few feet on each side had collapsed from age. I installed a piece of small dia. vacuum line into the hollow of the weather seal to restore its shape. Have not had a problem since.

Back
Top Bottom