Hawk Mini Mods

contrail

Thought I'd throw up a couple things I've done in my 2 years of (Very satisfied) Hawk ownership.

1) Westphalia style table that rotates,spins and tilts. This I really like, I removed the lower couch/bed and use

with a reclining desk chair. Inch and a quarter conduit fittings and pipe flanges from Lowes $30
4438912367_f827a1d69b_o.jpg

2)On demand water heater. Still not sure about this one. My Hawk has a smaller Kitchen cabinet and a

tank style water heater would have taken all my storage. It has worked OK but uses too much water and the Mag Chloride

is starting to get to it. I may install an automatic recirculating valve to address the water waste. There have

been a couple of times it was nice to have hot water. $105 Eco-Temp heater.
4439689162_834baf6348_o.jpg

3)Xantrex inverter siren disable. Ran a screw into the horn device on the circut board, much better, also

there is a 40 amp automotive fuse inside (300 watt)
4439688910_56c5ab0c94_o.jpg

4)Ames monument, Wyo
4439689346_a01443bf10_o.jpg

Instant hot water heater on a camper. Never seen that before but what a great idea! I like the table set up as well.

Um, may be a stupid question, but what is the siren disable for?

The inverter had an annoying alarm siren for low voltage, it would go off for instance, if you used the water pump
while charging your laptop. It still has LEDs to indicate a fault. I guess it just went off one time too many when I was relaxed :D

The Heater is for outdoor use, probably not for continuous all weather exposure like this. The website shows it hanging from a tree at a campsite, connected to a portable tank.
It has 2 d-cells for auto ignition and comes with a regulator and 5ft gas hose.

Nice hot water.
Was thinking of doing the same for more civilized camp trips. Details, please?

How mounted. you have gas already, I assume. How did you run the water?

thanks

dave

The problem with the tankless hot water systems is that you have to open the sink valve pretty much to full to get the tankless unit to kick on and then you cannot reduce th flow very much at all or it will kick back off and the water will be cold. That is a lot of wasted water down the drain when compared to a tank unit that you can just get a trickle of hot water out of when needed. I have lived with tankless systems for the last 20 years and would really like to put one in the fleet that I am redoing now but do not want to waste all that water. If someone can come up with a recirculating system for the tankless that does not overheat the water I would be interested in hearing about it. The small tankless heaters that I have looked at all use a least 1/2 gallon a minute and higher to kick on.

More on the water heater;

Yes its not that great of an idea. Mine has the flow switch adjusted to turn on at the minimum water flow and you still must run a quart of water thru it before it starts to get warm, 2 quarts to get hot. Also this unit is not really weatherproof, the wiring connections and circuit board are just what you would see on an indoor unit.

However mine has lasted 2 years and it does work well for a low priced alternative to a tank heater which I just didn't have room for.

Installation: My sink faucet already had hot and cold taps, so I just had to run 3/8 copper tubing to and from the heater, with drains for winter. I teed into the refrigerator gas line under the sink and used the rubber hose and regulator that came with the heater. The regulator appeared to be sealed so I mounted it under the sink, but I would think that it should be mounted outside like the tank regulator. The hose and lines run together under the camper where it overhangs the side of the truck bed. Power comes from 2 d-cell batteries in the heater. The back of the heater has standoffs for mounting with 3 tec screws into alum camper frame. I test ran it with a garden hose and bbq tank before installing it to adjust flow switch and familiarization.

I like the table. It's still a complete mystery to me why FWC/ATC can't come up with a decent table.

I like the table. It's still a complete mystery to me why FWC/ATC can't come up with a decent table.

x2

I pitched a similar idea, based on a Westfalia table, to them. Fell on deaf ears... :cautious:

At the next rally we should have a FWC table bonfire :D

Hey, you guys, don't be so hard on those dumpy little tables. When I bought my ATC shell, the guys told me the table would be the fist thing I'd dump. Not so; I use mine all the time, in side and out.

Now, I wouldn't want two. I mean you chaps can burn yours, but I'll keep mine.

Hey, you guys, don't be so hard on those dumpy little tables. When I bought my ATC shell, the guys told me the table would be the fist thing I'd dump. Not so; I use mine all the time, in side and out.

Now, I wouldn't want two. I mean you chaps can burn yours, but I'll keep mine.

C'mon Stew,

Rather than contribute to global warming by burning ours..We could ship all our tables to you.... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom