Hawk question

wessex

Found and possible project Hawk for sale. Seller say he has two jacks, seems at least one short or am I missing something?

Yea, two jacks are fine. They are different than the 4 corner hydraulic jacks. I actually prefer them as that is what I have to get the camper on and off. Here's the link.

Brophy Camper Jacks

They are at the bottom of the page. Stable with only two.

[sharedmedia=gallery:albums:564]

Thanks guys. Are there Serial No. plates somewhere on these camper to help confirm the year? I was read that pre 1990 era won't fit on newer trucks. Or maybe you can tell from the attached pictures (if I was able to upload them correctly).

Yea that is a pre 1990. Technically they wont fit all newer trucks. Newer trucks, the tailgates are narrower but it all depends. What truck do you have? Best thing is to measure camper and truck. There are lots of threads on here on this subject. Also it might not clear the cab as cabs have increased in height for the years. That is easy to fix as you can build a simple base.

Personally I had to lift the camper 2-1/2" to get the cab over to clear the cab. Simple 2x3 platform to match the camper base and fits like a glove. I have a 99 Ford Super Duty with a 1990 Hawk on it.

Good Luck!

Figured it was older than 1990. I have '09 F350 short bed. I asked the owner to measure the camper and I will check the truck tonight. Where does the width of the base widen, just aft of the wheel wells? Is it something I could modify to narrow, the price seems like a good deal for a starter camper/project for me. Could I get it home as is sitting back on the tailgate with a platform under to raise it(about an hour drive)?

SLO, I have propable read through your Hawk rebuild thread on the ExPortal forum 3 or 4 times. Thank you for continued help.

Hey Tony

Yes, the width of the second step in the camper base starts at the front of the camper, and goes all the way to the rear wall of the camper.

So if the used camper you are looking at is older and has the wider 64" camper base, there is no easy way to get it in your truck bed to get the camper home.

The camper is just too wide to fit.

Unless you go really high and stack some pallets under the camper, it probably won't fit in your truck bed.

If you tried to go that route and load it on to your truck with a bunch of pallets in the truck bed already, it will be very hard too. You would need to get the camper raised up really high!

Have you thought about maybe renting a small U-Haul flat trailer to get it home ?

Just a thought.

Maybe worth a look and taking some measurements at your local U-Haul rental yard?

Not sure if this trailer would work, or be capable???

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx?model=MT

Attachments

• measurements for base and fit.jpg
    measurements for base and fit.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 173
  • P1010053tt.JPG
    P1010053tt.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 224
  • trailer example.JPG
    trailer example.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 192
Stan,
Thanks. I have been considering the trailer option may be best. I will be able to figure something out I am sure.

Cheers

wessex said:
SLO, I have propable read through your Hawk rebuild thread on the ExPortal forum 3 or 4 times. Thank you for continued help.
Thanks for the kind words. I think Stan answered your questions. Good luck. Hope it works out. Feel free to ask questions anytime. We all are happy to help out.

Back
Top Bottom