Hawk shell build-out - Cabinet attachment question

Terra Trekkers

Hi everyone,

I have a question that I've been struggling with in my Hawk shell build-out. I've built up cubbies for storage bins and have them attached to the floor/bench and was planning on attaching them to the wall frame as well.

However, do the factory cabinets attach to both the floor and wall?

On one hand, I'd think they obviously would, however, on the other hand, it would significantly eliminate any wanted flex from the frame.

Does anyone know how the factory cabinets are attached? Thanks so much. This forum has been a fantastic resource in my build-out and I look forward to posting the results.

Chris

IMG_1029.jpg

Hi Chris,
When I was building out my shell I came across this post - http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7050-stan-question-about-fwc-frame-weldment/ - which I found helpful in guessing where to attach stuff. You can scroll down in the page to see the post with the complete set of four pics. Since I had asked the factory to screw on the paneling, I was able to remove a few screws and verify that, at least in my shell, the framing in the pictures seemed to be accurate. Hope this helps.
Good luck with the build!
Robert

ps - rereading your post, I see you may be asking a different question (about attaching to the walls and floor/bench both, not just how or where to attach). But I'll send the link anyway - if you hadn't located the framing pictures already, they may come in handy at some point.

Not sure on the factory but on my build I did attach the drivers side and my two small cabinets to both the bottom and the sides. I did unscrew the paneling and mark all the locations of the 1" sq alum frames on the drivers side. I then mounted a level board across the side screwed into the 1" sq alum. I then mounted my drawer slides to this board, see pic below. I did use a drill collar so I did not drill in very far, some areas will have wires in the wall.

cabinet+front+drawers+open.jpg

Where I was not sure when the frame was I tapped and used a ice pick to find the frame. In the pic below you will see just at the top the bottom of an "L" bracket I used to hold this cabinet on the top. Note the holes in the pic are from the factory cabinet I moved to the front over the window.
P1110977.jpg

Thank Robert, I hadn't see that post regarding the framing locations before. I'm planning on reusing (more or less) the screw locations of the factory upper cabinets I removed. I'm hoping that will keep me in the "safe-zone".

RnK said:
Hi Chris,
When I was building out my shell I came across this post - http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7050-stan-question-about-fwc-frame-weldment/ - which I found helpful in guessing where to attach stuff. You can scroll down in the page to see the post with the complete set of four pics. Since I had asked the factory to screw on the paneling, I was able to remove a few screws and verify that, at least in my shell, the framing in the pictures seemed to be accurate. Hope this helps.
Good luck with the build!
Robert

ps - rereading your post, I see you may be asking a different question (about attaching to the walls and floor/bench both, not just how or where to attach). But I'll send the link anyway - if you hadn't located the framing pictures already, they may come in handy at some point.

billharr said:
Not sure on the factory but on my build I did attach the drivers side and my two small cabinets to both the bottom and the sides. I did unscrew the paneling and mark all the locations of the 1" sq alum frames on the drivers side. I then mounted a level board across the side screwed into the 1" sq alum. I then mounted my drawer slides to this board, see pic below. I did use a drill collar so I did not drill in very far, some areas will have wires in the wall.

cabinet+front+drawers+open.jpg

Where I was not sure when the frame was I tapped and used a ice pick to find the frame. In the pic below you will see just at the top the bottom of an "L" bracket I used to hold this cabinet on the top. Note the holes in the pic are from the factory cabinet I moved to the front over the window.
P1110977.jpg
Thanks Bill, that is very helpful. I think I'll do mine in a similar fashion. If I run into any issues, I can always just unscrew the wall attachments.

Your build-out looks great, especially your drawers. It puts my Rubbermaid bins and cubbies to shame. :)

By the way, I stumbled on your blog awhile back in looking for solar panel mounting options on the Yakima Tracks. I really like your aluminum angle method and actually have aluminum angle some sitting in my garage with my solar panel waiting to be installed. The next project after my cabinets...

I did not attach my cabinets to the wall/frame, they are simply screwed into the plywood and the factory installed icebox. Nearly two years and no problems. I did want to leave the frame to flex, but honestly think it probably doesn't matter much.

Back
Top Bottom