Hawk shell on a 2010 Tundra V6?

MaineXplorah

Hi Folks,

Longtime lurker and finally decided to join the fun.

I've recently bought a 2010 Tundra RC, RWD/V6 and was looking for advice/experience from any 2nd gen Tundra V6 owners w/ a Hawk shell. I know I'll be under total payload (1500#) w/ shell, passengers and gear - and will need airbags. Just want to hear from others with similar setups.

Thanks,
Bill

Welcome to WTW. A RC with a V6 is a rare truck anymore. If you do not find someone on the site with a similar set up do a search there is lots of information on the site. Depending on if you are going to add anything to the shell, check out the build thread. A shell is a great way to start and get just want you want.

Thank you Bill and Kilroy.

I know there's a lot of Tundra/Hawk setups here, I just don't see any that specifically list the V6 - so I assume they have either of the V8s. And yes on the E rated tires, thanks for mentioning that.

I've read many negative reviews/comments on other sites regarding the v6 and Tundra, but it works fine for my needs. We'll occasionally take it thru the White Mtns or western Maine mtns, though a majority of our trips will be along the coast where the terrain is less challenging for the v6.

Thanks,
Bill

I can't speak of the 2nd gen Tundra, but I have the 1st gen tundra(06) and a 05 Hawk built out, same motor you have 4.0 with a 3.9 gear. Motor does well here on the Texas coast, it's flat. Not really any problems in the hill country either, power is adequate, but you'll be down shifting out of O.D. a lot. It does the job and has been dependable, I already had the truck, so went with what I had. I will be getting a V8 next time around for the additional power for mountain travel and towing the boat. My fuel mileage averages right at 14 and I've seen 16 depending on speed and terrain. I think a V8 will gets as good gas mileage as the V6 since it won't be working as hard.Along with the suspension upgrade you might want to get beefier shocks.

Thanks Beach.

I think my truck has the 3.9 gear as well. I've never seen the tach go above 2k rpms, whether accelerating or cruising at 65 mph. Most of the time it stays between 1500-1800 rpms, yielding a solid 20mpg in mostly hwy/rural driving. I know the engine will work harder w/ a Hawk shell in the bed, but I feel like it can handle it without issues. Still, nothing like real world experience from others with a similar setup.

Thanks,
Bill

Back
Top Bottom