Hawk shell: propane door fitment

graymaurer

I have a 2011 hawk that I'm in the process of retrofitting with several accessories. I've decided to put propane onboard and so I procured a door from four wheel camper along with several other items. However, when I got home and inspected the frame opening that I assumed would fit, the door framing was too wide to go into the pre-framed space. Does anyone have any guidance? Suggestions? Or perhaps a good story to console me? I need to get this build under way and this is holding up the show....

Pictures of the issue: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424572160.788781.jpg

Hey Grayson, I don't have an answer for you. My only suggestion is to give Stan a call. I ordered a Hawk shell with propane ready box so you would think the external door would fit. Maybe they have a different size door you can use. Keep us posted on your build. What kind of layout are you building?

I'll be following the normal layout of four wheel camper with some minor tweaks.

Feedback from Brenda is that I remove the first vertical frame piece and move forward from there. I'm a little apprehensive about removing the outside paneling. Anyone know if I have to pull the door to get those panels off?

Door comes off easy, but you will need to reseal. I changed mine on the old 2002 Hawk. To totally remove the panels you would need to take the door out.

IF! You want you could cut the outside panel at the point you want the edge of the propane door to be. Be sure you measure twice, you want paneling under the lip of the propane door. You would them be able to cut the vertical without removing the door and resealing the door. I used an oscillating tool to cut the opening for my Hawk build.

Bill,

After I thought more about this I came to the same conclusion. I'll cut from the inside my reference Edge and then measure to find the other edge where the vertical frame piece will be removed. Should be much easier.

I suppose I should start a build thread....

I have seen a few people who have their propane tank attached to the rear of the vehicle (though sometimes it is hard to see the attachment points). Would this be a good alternative to the propane box? I am thinking of a shell model and would like as few cuts in the camper as possible. Mounted strategically I would think a feed from the tank would be all you would need and that would be a much smaller hole than the box. Venting would also be unnecessary. Please tell me if I'm being a dufus, I really want to learn the ins and outs of modifying a camper:)

Happyjax said:
I have seen a few people who have their propane tank attached to the rear of the vehicle (though sometimes it is hard to see the attachment points). Would this be a good alternative to the propane box? I am thinking of a shell model and would like as few cuts in the camper as possible. Mounted strategically I would think a feed from the tank would be all you would need and that would be a much smaller hole than the box. Venting would also be unnecessary. Please tell me if I'm being a dufus, I really want to learn the ins and outs of modifying a camper:)
I've seen that technique before but didn't like the exposure of the propane tank for some reason. There are definitely some upsides to doing it that way but for me I wanted it secured in a cabinet. I will post pics of the progress for all to see.

Happyjax said:
I've been thinking the same thing (great minds think alike :p ). Maybe a box to keep it out of sight? I really don't want to loose the storage space.

Babelabe said:
Bill,

After I thought more about this I came to the same conclusion. I'll cut from the inside my reference Edge and then measure to find the other edge where the vertical frame piece will be removed. Should be much easier.

I suppose I should start a build thread....
One thing I did on my build is drill a small 1/8" holes from the inside to mark where I wanted my cut to be.

4+little+holes.jpg

If you look close you will see two small stainless screws below my fridge vent. I found where I wanted the vent would cover the Hawk logo so I raised it.
vent+fridge.jpg

Hi,

Slightly off topic, what size propane tank or tanks are you installing?

I'm planning my shell build right now and want to consider all ideas.

van isle said:
Hi,

Slightly off topic, what size propane tank or tanks are you installing?

I'm planning my shell build right now and want to consider all ideas.
It's a propane door so not too off topic [emoji6]

They are #11 Manchester tanks quantity= 2 with the prebuilt propane plastic housing. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425011543.317902.jpg

Back
Top Bottom