Hawk - Side Storage Compartment?

OutbacKamper

I think I just bought a used 2013 Hawk (I have come close on 2 previous deals in the last month, but I think this one is actually going to happen). So now I am excited to finalize the deal and get my hands on the camper (it is 1900km, approx 1200 miles, away) and my mind is churning over some modification ideas.

I previously owned a 2003 Hawk Shell model that I customized, but sold it in 2007. One of my biggest complaints about the -03 Hawk was the complete lack of storage for gear such as a High-Lift jack, shovel, axe, outside cooking gear, etc. I ended up with a custom roof rack in front of the camper, rear camper brackets (for High-Lift) and still had the entire floor of the camper full of boxes of "stuff". My goal is to have a less cluttered interior that only takes seconds to configure for camping (rather than 10 minutes of unloading gear so I can get in the camper). Of course one way to reach this goal is to carry less "stuff" but I would still like a place to stow some "outside" gear ( I will probably eliminate the jack, but still want to store a shovel, axe, 2 kayak paddles, leveling blocks, recovery gear, chairs, folding ladder, etc)

My idea is to replace the right side window with a hatch of the same size and build a storage compartment, accessible from the outside, that would completely fill the space behind the roll over couch backrest:

Roll-Over-Couch-Seating-Four-Wheel-Campers-Pop-Up-Settee-Goucho.jpg

Can anyone with this configuration tell me the approximate measurements behind the couch backrest? I am guessing that the storage compartment would taper from approx. 8" deep at the bottom to approx 6" deep at the top (same height as top of existing overhead storage bin, which would be removed). If the dimensions are less, then maybe this idea would not be feasible.
Of course the down side to this idea, with the loss of the biggest window, is less ventilation and less light in the camper, but I always found the right side window to be too low to see out of and I think the rear door and roof vents will provide enough ventilation. Plus based on this picture, it seems that the couch backrest blocks most of the window anyway:
four-wheel-popup-truck-camper-shell-model-roll-over-couch-with-furnace-propane.jpg

The basic concept would be similar to this (only not as deep):
q100_w650_h425_images_ePIM_1000_fiberglasssidedoor.jpg

00y0y_lv_G3c_LDprae_1200x900.jpg

Can anyone see any reason why this would not work or may not be practical?
Thanks
Mark

Looking forward to your build. I purchased a 2013 Hawk shell and built it our for max storage inside. Not sure I would want to lose the window. What if you just build storage on the part of the window that is the emergency escape? May be make it so you can take it in and out quickly.

Bill

My build.

Thanks for the input Bill. I don't think that the emergency window hatch would be big enough for my needs, but it is worth looking into this more prior to replacing the window. I have also thought about removing all the glass, but keeping the window frame and adding a hatch to the existing window frame. However I achieve this storage access, my goal is to make it easily convertible back to the original configuration as I don't intend to keep this camper long term and I realize that most people would probably prefer the factory configuration. This is just a temporary solution until my XP V3 is ready. Here is the prototype/mock-up XP V3 on my truck:
post-4-0-62538200-1409256739_thumb.jpg

BTW Bill, I checked out your build thread and video - very impressive work!

OutbacKamper,

Is the V3 any closer to production at this point?
I have not seen anything beyond the wood mock up from that picture yet. Would love to hear if there is anything new.

I talked to Marc at XP a few weeks ago about this very question, he thinks it will be at least another 6-9 months for the first pre-production model V3. I don't think XP have ever waived from their plan to build the V3, but they have been in a constant state of hiring and expansion for years and still cant build enough of the current camper models to meet demand. This makes it very difficult to find time for R&D for future models.

I decided I would get a Four Wheel Hawk camper so that I don't have to bug Marc about when the V3 will be ready, this way he can take his time and I can go camping!

Not passing judgement, but the V3 is a very long ways from the design concept use of a FWC; kinda like comparing a fully kitted Sprint to a Bronco..indication is that the V3 will require "at least a 1-ton truck' and while it has every possible feature none to mankind if the price of the V1 is any indication [$85,000+ with options] the V3 will not only be innovative, heavy but also cost a butt load..design reminds me of the Alaskan.

Comment on V3 forum was that in a Siberian winter a FWC was "no fun" and a V3 would be needed...to each their own.

Hey, I could be wrong! :D

Phil

Phil, I agree with you, theV3 is similar in size and features to a V1. I was not suggesting the 2 types of campers are similar, I am just going to use a Hawk as an upgrade from a canopy or tent (which are my current options) until the V3 is available.

OutbacKamper said:
Phil, I agree with you, theV3 is similar in size and features to a V1. I was not suggesting the 2 types of campers are similar, I am just going to use a Hawk as an upgrade from a canopy or tent (which are my current options) until the V3 is available.

Outbac,

Not in any way trying to talk you off of a V3...this is the first I have heard of this line of campers...just trying to wrap my mind around a V3 use for me rather than my Hawk and came up empty...the V3 and the others are lavish to be sure!

Phil

Phil,

I have personally been to XP's shop and in many of their campers over the last few years. It's not really fair to compare a $80,000 XP to a $20,000 FWC. They are very different and for different kind of camping experiences. Kind of like comparing a honda civic to a Tesla. They both go down the street but different kind of people usually drive them.

I love my FWC grandby. It's a terrific camper that suits my family well. But when the day comes that XP finally does make a V3 - I'd love to see one in person.

DrJ said:
Phil,

I have personally been to XP's shop and in many of their campers over the last few years. It's not really fair to compare a $80,000 XP to a $20,000 FWC. They are very different and for different kind of camping experiences. Kind of like comparing a honda civic to a Tesla. They both go down the street but different kind of people usually drive them.

I love my FWC grandby. It's a terrific camper that suits my family well. But when the day comes that XP finally does make a V3 - I'd love to see one in person.

Exactly...as I said in post #6...they are different animals..

Am I curious about the construction and features of the V3? Sure, in an academic way. But the cost and weight alone would stop any interest for me right there...I also believe that the flexible construction and overall design of a FWC [obviously I bought one..] is better suited to off road rambling with all the clearance and pounding issues involved off road. Besides my Tundra also delivers everything needed for our adventures and in spite of the advances in lightweight truck construction and more efficient engine designs a heavy truck is a heavy truck..

Guess I am saying there are no "free lunches"...compromise is needed. Like the original post; adding storage but removing a window...letting sunlight inside any camper is paramount for me...but for others not so much.

Ya put your money on the bar and drink what ya get... :D

Phil

I have confirmed the deal on the Hawk. I will be meeting the owner in Calgary to take possession of the Hawk very soon. I guess I will see soon enough if my storage idea is feasible. The camper does not have a side awning (too bad, I really liked the Fiamma awning on my '03 Hawk) but it does come with the factory rear awning which I am looking forward to trying out. At first I was thinking of adding a Fiamma side awning, but having read another WTC thread on awnings, I may go with a cheaper alternative. Here is the camper:

00_J0_J_8_Qx5_NGhh_BIw_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_j_Cv_THHxe_K1_P_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_afj_U05_IPat_O_1200x900.jpg

00p0p_e2pb9_FEBZI9_1200x900.jpg

Looking at these pictures, it seems the electrical hook up is on the drivers side, but my plug (for the old camper) is on the passenger side of the truck, did Four Wheel change the hookup location?

I also intend to add roof rack tracks and exterior gas struts. I have seen another thread here on the struts, and hardware, so I will look into that more closely.

Wow...that Hawk looks brand new! Good deal. Complete with maple leaf... :)

Our '16 hawk has the electrical lead coming into the truck bed and then the camper on the left front corner.

Phil

Thanks Phil;
While I haven't seen the camper in person, they tell me these pictures are only 2 weeks old, so I hope the condition is as good as it seems in the pics. I guess I will need to get an extension made up to plug the camper into my right side plug in the truck bed.

The maple leaf is actually a Winnipeg Jets sticker. There is also a Winnipeg Blue Bombers sticker. The owner offered to remove them both, and while I am not a Jets fan, I think the Jets logo is very cool, so I asked the seller to leave that one on:

610tVycdtML._SY355_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom