Hawk Solar Plug on rear going to battery compartment?

kmcintyre

I'm going to go out and check but thought I'd see if anyone has done this...

There's a solar connection (or some type of connection) on the outside of my Hawk Flatbed that I assume goes to the battery compartment (there's some coiled-up wires in there that aren't hooked to anything). I received a few plugs w/ my Hawk that connect to that outlet.

I'd like to use that for my portable solar panels when I need them to charge my camper battery as it's better "integrated" that me running wires to the outside. I could just wire up my panels to those plugs that came w/ the camper and I'm good to go?????

I'll check the wiring w/ my volt meter but thought I'd double check w/ this group first.

Thanks,
Kevin

Those wires go to where you'd have the option for a charge controller. Not sure on a flatbed, but they tie into a wire coming from the roof, and that in turn would go to your charge controller. Your charge controller would connect to the batteries.

Whatever you do, do not connect the panels straight to your batteries unless the panels have a charge controller built in.

Our rear plug on our 2014 Grandby was wired to the solar controller, so the Zamp portable panel needed to be without it's owner controller. Contact FWC to get an accurate answer. Our 2014 came with 100W Zamp and Zamp controller. In 2020 we had RMFWC / Juniper Overland upgrade to 2-100W Zamp Obsidian panels. Our new travel trailer has the solar plug directly to the battery so I will need to get a portable Zamp panel with a charger included. My Zamp portable sold with the camper.

On my 2021 Grandby, I did not order any solar equipment. In my case, the wires from the roof connector and rear wall connector were connected in parallel with push in connectors inside the cabinet and a pair of red/black wires was coiled and secured in the top of the battery compartment.

On my 2017 hawk flatbed, the black plug on left rear corner goes straight into the controller so—with a controller already installed for an existing roof top panel—adding my 100 watt porta-panel (without its own controller) was plug and play. Check the polarities when wiring on the connectors as different panel companies do different things.

I did determine that the plug in the rear of the flatbed does in fact go to the wire in the battery compartment. My portable solar panel does have a lifepo4 controller so I'm just going to wire the battery up and then use that port in the flatbed when I need to charge my battery on long trips.

kmcintyre said:
I did determine that the plug in the rear of the flatbed does in fact go to the wire in the battery compartment. My portable solar panel does have a lifepo4 controller so I'm just going to wire the battery up and then use that port in the flatbed when I need to charge my battery on long trips.
In that case, put a fuse in that wire to protect it.

Paul

kmcintyre said:
That should work OK but won't be optimal with all that distance causing voltage drop between controller & battery.

TheDudeMan said:
That should work OK but won't be optimal with all that distance causing voltage drop between controller & battery.
I thought about that too but the cord under normal circumstances is long anyway to allow the panels to move around. Really just a trickle charger.

Back
Top Bottom