Hawk solar upgrade

fatmab

Advanced Member
Hi all. I've never been much of a poster on forums unless I can help answer a specific question for somebody. Over the years I have gained so much valuable information here and other forums. This is my attempt to give back a little and possibly help others who, like me, are wanting a little more out of their solar system.

I think I have read most of the solar build threads here by countless posters and I poured over Handy Bob's pages before coming up with my plan. The thing that finally pushed me into action is, the factory 100W Zamp panel was no longer functioning at 100%, leaving me with even less solar power for an already marginal output to run a compressor fridge.

My Zamp panel has what looks like burn lines across many of the solar cells. On my last trip in the best conditions, I was getting just 4 - 4.5 amps from solar, down from 5 - 5.5 in the past. This, combined with the undersized factory wiring between truck and battery separator, almost left me with cold food and beer problems. I had to manually bypass the separator during the trip to allow the truck to charge the camper batteries just enough to keep me going for the week.

Camper - 2014 Hawk front dinette with factory 100W solar, 2 batteries, 80L compressor fridge

Added - additional Renogy 100W panel, Trimetric SC 2030/TM 2030RV combo.

I kept the Zamp panel for now, but I may upgrade in the future if I find I need more juice, or if the panel continues to output less and less.

First, I removed the factory panel to access the wiring.

Cleaned and prepped

This is what you're left with after removal of the factory solar connector in case you are curious, I was. I did have to enlarge the hole just a little with a unibit to fit the pass through connector.

Installed the same McMaster Carr 90 degree elbow and epdm washer that deethe did. I probably went overboard with my usage of sealant here and elsewhere, but this area is not visible and I really wanted to ensure no leaks.

Mounted new 100W Renogy panel to the Yakima tracks using aluminum z bar

A couple of makeshift spacers to fix the sag in the z bar. I attached these with sealant to the roof, and JB Weld to the aluminum so I didn't have to put a new hole in the roof. If I later find that this is not solid enough, I will screw down through some c channel brackets or other method.

New wire through the roof to MC4 connectors and Ys. I used 8awg here because I had this great plan to replace all of the 12awg for the entire run to provide for future expansion if needed. This proved to be too difficult for me, so you will see later that I did what kmacafee did, and only replaced the easier section from the front lift panel to the controller.

Preparing to re install Zamp panel.

Roof install complete

Splice at the junction box

Splice after the lift panel

I removed the bottom section of particle board filler and ripped about 3/8" off of the bottom to make room for the new 8awg
before

after

Drilled a hole in the paneling right behind the support for the bed slide and to the right of the cabinet

Cable running down the void between the cabinet and front camper wall

Used a Dremel to notch out a portion of the slide out support to fit over the cable

Slide out support re installed over cable

Cable path behind the storage area above the water tank and into the battery box

Shunt and box for SC 2030 controller mounted

Wired and installed

Other side of battery box

Mounting box for TM 2030RV. I used a piece of the thin plywood battery cover to patch over the hole left by the Zamp charge controller.

Functioning monitor

Initial driveway tests are very positive. Saw 9 amps of solar at about 12:30 yesterday. I switched on the fridge, fantastic fan on high, LED lights in the ceiling and floor and was still showing a current surplus. I only ran into a deficit when I switched the heater on too. I don't think I will never use that much power at once.

If I decide that I do need more, I will just upgrade the Zamp panel to a 160W or add another 100A

I hope somebody may find this useful

Matt

Looks great.

You just gave me a great reminder with that 90*. I have a small 90* thru hull fitting for a boat that is just laying around. It's made to seal watertight with large flanges. And it's made to be exposed to UV. A couple of 8gauge wires would pass through that just fine and I could then seal it. Just saw this silly thing the other day while doing some maintenance on my bass boat. I'll have to dig that back out this evening. It might be a doable.

Matt,
That looks great. Nice work!
I like it.

Did you buy the Trimetric 2030 that has the solar controller too?

I really wanted to do that one, but needed a MPPT controller to handle my 24 volt panel.

Thanks Squatch

I almost went with a couple of different marine products that are meant for through deck wiring but this fitting was a whole lot cheaper and will work fine. If you've got one sitting around, I'd use it

Thanks Squatch

I almost went with a couple of different marine products that are meant for through deck wiring but this fitting was a whole lot cheaper and will work fine. If you've got one sitting around, I'd use it

DrJ said:
Matt,
That looks great. Nice work!
I like it.

Did you buy the Trimetric 2030 that has the solar controller too?

I really wanted to do that one, but needed a MPPT controller to handle my 24 volt panel.
Thanks DrJ

Yes, I bought the SC 2030 controller too

You've done some great posts - keep it up!

I would love some updates on the Trimetric solar charge controller too. I think that is a great option if you are already doing the monitor too.

DrJ said:
You've done some great posts - keep it up!

I would love some updates on the Trimetric solar charge controller too. I think that is a great option if you are already doing the monitor too.
I think it's a great package for around $250. Using the two units together gives you a couple of options that I really like. It will display the amount of solar current being used to charge the batteries based on the needs of the charging state (bulk, absorption, float) and it will tell you how many watts of solar are not being used. Nice to know how much more power you have available at any given time.

I am using one of the factory set charging profiles for a different brand of AGM battery right now. I did send an email to Ralph at Bogart with a link to the Exide battery charging requirements and asked his opinion on if I should custom configure anything. I have yet to hear back...

Hey Matt, when you hear back from Ralph about the suggested profile for the Exide Edge batteries, please post his recommendation (to save him a similar message from me. I just finished installing a Trimetric with solar controller, and was wondering the same thing. I used the profile for the Concord AGM as a starting point, but hopefully Ralph has ideas for fine tuning.

Thanks for the informative post, especially the great photo documentation. I'm finding that jumping into solar has a learning curve - I'm still near the bottom, but it's been pretty interesting so far.

- Rusty

NRVhawk said:
Hey Matt, when you hear back from Ralph about the suggested profile for the Exide Edge batteries, please post his recommendation (to save him a similar message from me. I just finished installing a Trimetric with solar controller, and was wondering the same thing. I used the profile for the Concord AGM as a starting point, but hopefully Ralph has ideas for fine tuning.

Thanks for the informative post, especially the great photo documentation. I'm finding that jumping into solar has a learning curve - I'm still near the bottom, but it's been pretty interesting so far.

- Rusty
Here is the reply I received from Ralph...

Hello Matt,
I note that the profile 9 you are using is for Concorde (Lifeline) batteries.
We don't have a profile that is exactly what they specify. So you can put individual values in if you want to do it exactly as they say. You can enter each value as shown below.
I looked up the official charging instructions. They seem a little conservative to me-- but here's what they specify:

P1= 14.1
P2=1.0
P3=150
P14=4.0
P15=14.4 (absorb voltage)
P16=13.7 (float voltage)

P20=7 (% overcharge)
P21=1.0 %

If I were doing it I would change P2 and P21 to 2.0% instead for a solar system. This isn't what they say, but 1% seems pretty low to be limiting the current, especially when the solar time is limited and you want to get them charged while the sun is out.

I would definitely increase the P2 and P21 values to 2% if you are not getting the rPC percentage values (on the TriMetric) up to 107% overcharge during the end of a solar day however.
If you are not sure what I mean by that, please read answer to question A6 here:

http://www.bogartengineering.com/support/faq/

Yours truly
Ralph H

I thanked him for his thorough answer!

Well folks, I believe that the trimetric has already helped me find a problem in my system. When I went out to check on the camper today, the charge on the Trimetric read 97%. I thought that strange since nothing is powered on (DC breaker off). Then I remembered that when I first installed the Trimetric, it was monitoring for 2-3 days before I had the solar installed. After that period, batteries showed 86% (I began install with 100% charge off Iota).

I pulled the solar fuse so I could only read the drain on the system. I was reading a draw between .5 and 1.6 amps. Took the battery separator out of line and the reading dropped to 0/-.1. I then checked and there was continuity between the two poles on the separator. This is all with the truck off. I do believe I discovered that the separator has given up the magic smoke.

Please chime in if you see any flaws in my logic.

Looks like I may have to bump up my plans for the Blue Sea separator and heavier gauge wiring upgrade. Those of you who have upgraded the wiring between the camper and truck, are there any notes I should be aware of? Still use the same connectors from the truck bed to camper?

Thanks,
Matt

The unit in my camper is the 1314A. Supposedly uni directional. I'm still not certain but I was always under the impression that the isolator would disconnect the banks while the truck is off.

Good catch on the relay drive current, Paul. I was seeing up to 1.5 amps though.

question about the wiring

Instead of running the solar cable with the mc4 connector to the junction box and splicing there. Would using a 20' solar cable all the way to the charge controller and removing the old 10g wire be another way to do the 8g upgrade ? Im planning a solar panel install on my hawk and was thinking that i would wire it that way. I ask, because Im not sure if it is advisable or not.

fatmab said:
The unit in my camper is the 1314A. Supposedly uni directional. I'm still not certain but I was always under the impression that the isolator would disconnect the banks while the truck is off.

Good catch on the relay drive current, Paul. I was seeing up to 1.5 amps though.
Yes, the 1314a is uni-directional. The relay should disconnect, truck running or not, if the truck voltage drops below 12.7 volts. It will reconnect if the voltage raises above 13.2 volts. So it sounds like your separator is bad, provided it is wired properly (Main and Aux battery terminals swapped?)

I've measured my 1314a, it does indeed use 3/4 amp to drive the relay coil.

Back
Top Bottom