Hawks Maiden Voyage

Regular Guy

1700 miles to the dealer for the install then I took the long way back home, 4500 miles and 26 nights in the Hawk, some of them stealth. It was great. The Hawk was great. As a solo traveler the Hawk seemed to be a perfect fit, without using the pullout. I didn’t have an itinerary, I just headed for the green spots on the map and found lots of remote and dispersed camping. Mostly ID, UT and NM. I also found a lot of spring-like weather and was able to dodge a couple of approaching winter storms. It took me just a couple of days of this when it clicked, I was wandering the west, WTW, what a great name for the site.

Before the install, even though I upgraded the rear springs and tires, I was concerned about how the truck would fit and handle the Hawk. I was pleasantly surprised, except for no rear view mirror, I could hardly tell it was on the back. No sway and no bounce. I have no wind noise concerns, in fact it was at the 2500 mile mark that I first heard some significant wind noise so I stopped and got out to look thinking I might have left something open but it was just really windy. There were a lot of variables but I guessimate my MPG reduction is only 1-2, no more than 3. And I think it looks great.

There were a couple of hiccups along the way however Steven, the MT dealer, and Brenda in FWC Service made themselves available and kept me on the road. In fact the dealer was great throughout the entire process. I do have a few questions and minor concerns that I need to follow-up with them on now that I home. I’m sure they will help and then I can turn to the forum if I need more info.

I still do have a few other things to share and ask but this comment is already too long. I’ll try to find existing FWC threads to add to and use other WTW forums for rest of my thoughts

Welcome to the cult,even if you joined last year.
Your rig looks great and happy you are enjoying it.
These pop ups are great.
Have fun on future trips.
Thanks for the photos.
Frank

Congrats on your camper and your trip!

That's exciting stuff.

Do you mind going into a bit more detail about the problems you encountered? The reason I ask is that I'm set to pick up the exact same camper in May from Stephen at the Montana dealership. I've seen a few Youtube videos recently that have discouraged me a bit - seems like some of the brand-new FWCs are having water leak issues right out of the gate. I'm curious to know what you've been experiencing. Thanks!

Frank, thanks for the welcome.

Stringer, I have no leak issues.

My biggest problem was with the furnace and I already added to another thread on that topic. I recommend you read the many threads and watch the FWC troubleshooting videos on furnaces before your first trip.

I also added to a thread about the rear door which isn't a big deal, the mark is cosmetic and the screen door latches I think will be easy to resolve when and if it reoccurs (in warm weather?)

The other big "problem" I had could be described as operator error or ignorance. I couldn't figure out how to reset the 2 breakers? on either side on the BMS unit. I don't have an equipment manual for them and you can't see the reset toggle, reset has nothing to do with the visible red button but there's a toggle under each unit. Have the dealer show you. BTW the most plausible cause for the breakers opening was what I had stored in the compartment.

Besides that I do have a few other things to share and ask the forum but nothing for you to worry about. Don't be discouraged, you're gonna love your Hawk, it's a great camper. Watch for my future posts as I work through my list.

Back
Top Bottom