Hawks Side dinette and adult sleeping room

Bombsight

Looking at the only photo I could find, it seems as though the Hawks side dinette is a little short in length for an average size adult. Hoping I'm wrong :unsure:.

What is everyones opinion on sleeping on the side dinette? Doable, comfy, insomnia, chiropractor appointed?

... and could somebody post a few other photos of the side dinette in sleeping position, please?

Attachments

• A Hawk side dinette.jpg
    A Hawk side dinette.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 502
I have owned a side dinette in a grandby - longer camper but the same length of a bed as is your hawk.

The side dinette would not sleep an adult comfortably in my opinion.

It would work for a 10 year old or younger kid but it's narrow and awkward to sleep on for an adult.

I would not ever sleep on it personally.

On our recent two week trip my 5'-7" wife slept on the Hawk's side dinette most of the time because she needed to be down at that level for post-surgery cat maintenance. His erratic, non-human schedule would have meant that both of us would not sleep so she graciously took on the responsibility. She actually slept pretty well most nights given the circumstances. The nightly Wild Turkey 101 may have helped. :D

However I'm pretty sure that it was manageable for her because we are coming from a backpacking tent history with pretty recent experience in tents as small as the North Face Tadpole. I think that even I can do it for a night or two even though I am a bit over 6 foot.

I built my side dinette, do not plan on sleeping there. Did it just in case the grandkids tag along.

rollover+down.jpg

Isn't there almost 80" of space b/w the rear wall of the camper and the front? That seems a goodly amount of space for most folks to sleep.

fireball said:
Isn't there almost 80" of space b/w the rear wall of the camper and the front? That seems a goodly amount of space for most folks to sleep.
Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Sure would like to see more pics of it in sleep position.

Is the 80" long side dinette a fact on the Hawk model?

Nice work, Bill ;)

One thing I would like to know from anyone who has slept on a roll over bed made by FWC. I "assume" the roll over couch is made like the seats on the front and side dinettes, that is the seat is 4 inch foam but the back that rolls over is 2 inch foam. The picture below is from when I narrowed the roll over to use on my side dinette. The 2 inch alum tube is covered with thin plywood and 2 in foam is bonded to the back. This makes a very strong seat back, but IMO a very uncomfortable 2 inch foam to sleep on. Anyone out there who has slept on one?

med_gallery_1903_712_107604.jpg

One significant issue would be whether you are getting the corner cabinet that FWC typically installs at the intersection of the two sitting areas. It is easily removed (just 4 screws if I recall) if preferred for sleeping purposes but also useful storage of course. If it is there then one is kind of forced to sleep at an odd angle.

So I went out and looked at mine and measured things. The sleeping area of the cushions is 18" x 77" long. Including the harder carpeted portion next to the window increases the width to 30". This is where the corner cabinet would compromise the width at your head but then you would have the adjacent bench seat cushions to borrow some space from. I took a couple of photos but with the top down... difficult to get it all in without a bigger wide angle. Will post tonight after the hockey game ;-)

I looked at it over the weekend. I wouldn't want to sleep there, but could. It seems narrow.

daverave said:
So I went out and looked at mine and measured things. The sleeping area of the cushions is 18" x 77" long. Including the harder carpeted portion next to the window increases the width to 30". This is where the corner cabinet would compromise the width at your head but then you would have the adjacent bench seat cushions to borrow some space from. I took a couple of photos but with the top down... difficult to get it all in without a bigger wide angle. Will post tonight after the hockey game ;-)
Thank you, Dave!

I agree with Billharr. The seat portion is much stiffer than the regular cushions. What I did was use 2 left over pieces of 1/2" foam board (which I had purchased to make the top bunk level with the pullout portion) and put them under the forward cushion. Seems to be much more comfortable, but have only laid on it to try it out.
I'll try to take a picture tomorrow as the camper is currently popped up in the garage.

68 Siesta said:
The bed is suited only for kids and for adults that you don't want to take on a second trip!
Too funny, 68.

I'm hoping alcohol might compensate for those who I might invite again (Kids excluded). :p

Thanks, TrapperMike. Looking forward to the pics.

I stealth camp in my Hawk with rollover couch (do not pop the top such as at rest stops. Not sure of the seat back thickness, but most of the time I do not roll it over, I just fit on the seat as is. Not roomy, but works, I have not needed any extra padding so far. I am 6'1". length is fine with a rollover, too short with a dinette for me.

Here's a couple of pix of the dinette sleeping area in our Hawk, Bomb. You can see the 12" sq cabinet in the corner that impinges on the potential sleeping area. We are undecided as to whether we will keep it.

Attachments

• 2016_04_13_1847-PS.jpg
    2016_04_13_1847-PS.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 281
Big thanks, Dave!
I'm thinking an alcohol polluted friend could sleep well there after a long day of surfing.
A third person could be a big benefit when diesel is considered.

Thanks for the opinions and photos everyone. I feel as though I made the right decision the more I look at the FWC Hawk.

If you got rid of the corner cabinet and got a foam mat or mattress pad or Thermarest to lay over the area it looks like just about the perfect size.

Back
Top Bottom