Hays Street Cafe, Bridgeport CA, Closing

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
I guess this isn't brand-new news, they announced it in a post on their Facebook page a month ago, and a suggestion of it back in October, maybe someone else has already reported it here, in a Trip Report, but I just noticed it this morning on their website:
Hays Street Cafe
Hays-St-Cafe_Closing.jpg

With Bridgeport over 500 miles from my house I'm hardly a local fan...but I've stopped there for breakfast -- or at least cinnamon rolls to go -- quite a few times in the past few years of Sierra east-side, US 395, trips.
And just this morning I drank my coffee from a Hays Street Cafe mug, not knowing that this coffee stained mug would soon be a precious collectible...:
Hays-St-Cafe_Mug.jpg

Maybe it'll be like Fields Station (Fields, southeast Oregon),
Fields-Station_20150108.jpg
which is also for sale so the owners can retire: Fields Station has been for sale for over 2 years, and they still haven't been able to sell it or retire. Bad for them but good for me.

Don't think I've ever made a daylight trip through Bridgeport without stopping at the Cafe. I for one will miss the great food, cinnamon rolls, and friendly staff.

Been seeing a few of the real out of the way cafes and bars closing over the last few years. Too bad, but understandable.

K6ON said:
Don't think I've ever made a daylight trip through Bridgeport without stopping at the Cafe. I for one will miss the great food, cinnamon rolls, and friendly staff.
We have been so bummed we haven't even mentioned it. We do not want to believe it is true. :(

ski3pin said:
We have been so bummed we haven't even mentioned it. We do not want to believe it is true. :(
I thought maybe you'd mentioned it in one of your trip reports but I'd missed it.
But now that I've brought up the ugly truth...do you know anything more -- like if they'll close whether they've sold it or not? Or is it closed already?

We just realized this ourselves as we drove by Saturday morning. Oh well, we'll always have the memories.

Last time we were in for breakfast I overheard the waitress talking about the owner's plan to sell & retire. I wish them well and hope they can get a buyer somewhat north of $400k :unsure:

Of course nothing will replace the Hays Street cinnamon rolls, but I would like to put in a plug for Virginia Creek Settlement restaurant/lodge just south of Bridgeport, just past Green Creek Rd. a short ways. They are open seven days a week and do a credible breakfast. The historical character of the place is worth the stop.

One other recent discovery I want to recommend is Sweetwater Coffee Shoppe in Walker, CA on 395. We stumbled upon the place and found they do great coffee, make sandwiches and have WIFI. The owners are very helpful and friendly. They are on the opposite side of the highway from Walker Burger.

but I would like to put in a plug for Virginia Creek Settlement restaurant/lodge just south of Bridgeport, just past Green Creek Rd. a short ways. They are open seven days a week and do a credible breakfast. The historical character of the place is worth the stop.
For years we went there and was sad to learn the owners were selling. They were friendly and would recognize us and spend time chatting. New owners took over and have been doing a fine job ever since. Last two years have not connected on timing to visit.

Hay's Street Café ... selling..:( likewise hope the new owners will carry on the quality!

Hope they find a buyer. For years I have stopped on motorcycle rides at the 50's dinner in Knights Ferry. Several years ago they closed same reason as Hays. Almost a year later someone reopened, we were sure it would not be as good. First time we stopped I ordered the Eggs Benedict as they were always great. When asked if I wanted hash browns or country fries a friend of mine said always get the country fries as the hash brown are always frozen. The waitress said the cook shreds the potatoes every morning for the hash browns. Wow the 50's dinner is better with the new owners. Hoping the same happens to Hays.

Hays Street Cafe has been for sale for a few years. It was up on their website but no sign was posted at the cafe. When we stopped in early November, it was closed but a sign on the window said they would reopen Jan. 3, 2015. Our next trip through, the note on the window was gone and the prominent for sale sign was up.

We've known they have wanted to sell and retire for a couple years.

We hope them and their employees the best and hope the tradition will continue with new owners.

ski3pin said:
Hays Street Cafe has been for sale for a few years. ...

We've known they have wanted to sell and retire for a couple years....
So it sounds like Hays Street Cafe is a similar situation as Fields Station -- attempting to sell and retire for a couple of years.

Speaking again of Fields Station for sale, coincidentally today someone forwarded to me a link to the real estate ad for Fields Station.
So if you're in the market for a small business in a very cool place but want a location a little less busy than US 395 in California... Flyer :unsure:

index.php

If I didn't mind sinking my life savings in an enterprise that would probably drive me mad with stress, I'd consider this myself! ;)

Back
Top Bottom