Head room with top down

Tailfins

Advanced Member
I can picture times when one might need to spend a night in a Wal-Mart parking lot. You wouldn't want to raise the top, just sleep on the fold-out couch. So here's a practical question:

With the top down in a Hawk or Grandby, how many inches headroom is there, from floor to ceiling?

Thanx!

wal-mart

I'm just curious, why would you not want to pop the top at wal-mart? I think the Hawk I own has about 4' of headroom with the top down, I cannot measure as I am at work now and the camper is happily at home!

Tim

Granby

Aprox. 52'' Camping in a Wall Mart parking lot in a Four Wheel camper should be against the law, thats for million dollar motor homes, with foggies ridin' around on Power Chair scooters.

:confused:

We've stealth-camped at Wal Mart and other places lots of times en route from one place to another. Sometimes it's nice to get a few hours' sleep, and in the back with the top down is a great place to do it.

Thanks for the input, guys:

>I'm just curious, why would you not want to pop the top at wal-mart?<

Sometimes you don't want to be conspicuous.

>Aprox. 52''<

That's not a whole lot, but adequate for sitting down or sleeping.

>We've stealth-camped at Wal Mart and other places lots of times en route from one place to another. Sometimes it's nice to get a few hours' sleep, and in the back with the top down is a great place to do it.<

That's what I'm thinking. I don't know how much "camping" camping I'll be doing, but I will be doing a lot of traveling, often without a set destination in mind, and not knowing from day to day where I'll be when it's time to bed down.

In another forum we chatted with a woman who lived for several years in an SUV with her young son and two dogs, not because she was poor but because she just wanted to live that way, the adventure of it and all. She claimed that she rarely had any trouble finding a free spot to spend the night, and no one ever hassled her. That's probably because she wasn't driving something big and obvious. A top down FWC kind of fits into the "stealth" catagory. Not very obtrusive or even noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom