Headed south from Death Valley; Joshua Tree or Anza Borrego recommendations?

kmcintyre

On our way to Baja, we'll stop at one of those locations. Looking for advice that isn't too far off of I10 to 86 near the Salton Sea junction.

We'd like to find a nice camping spot for a day or so (dispersed camping?).

Any suggestions? We've seen a lot of the Joshua Trees in DV but not sure if there are other things to see.

This will be in late Jan., 2017.

Thanks.

Both parks are on your way, both are nice, so it's up to you. You could also hit the Mojave Preserve if you're coming from DVNP. Blair Valley at Anza Borrego is nice. Get some fresh citrus and dates at one of the Borrego Springs area fruit stands, then head out to BV. Lots of dispersed camping in that general area, including in Gallego Meadows, which is privately owned by the Dennis Avery estate.

I think somewhere around Anza Borrego would be my choice.

I'm with Mr. Sage. We are big AB fans . . . been going there since the early 70s. It is one of places that encourages dispersed camping and there are countless canyons to explore. In my opinion, you can not go wrong adding AB to your agenda. This photo was taken at our camp up Mine Canyon last spring.

Attachments

• Anza camp 2.jpg
    Anza camp 2.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 147
X3 for Anza Borrego.
I made the mistake of entering Joshua Tree NP on a recent Saturday. Campsites were all full, sometimes as many as six Prius's per site! (I might exaggerate a bit here, but you get my drift.) Luckily my Nat'l Park geezer pass saved me the $20 entry.
I hightailed it outta there and camped out on the dirt road that (sorta) parallels the Amboy Road from 29 Palms. Beautiful, quiet.IMG_2190.JPG

Awesome sites you all have found. We'll be there in about 4-5 days as we're headed to Death Valley right now. So far, so good in the "new" truck. In Tonopah, NV and the roads, etc. were clear via Winnemucca, etc.

KC

Glad you found clear roads heading south from the great white north.

Anza has some dirt roads with camping and also the whole Salton Sea phenomenon...pretty interesting.

Please give some notion of the wildflower reports you may hear while in the park.

Travel safe ever southward.

DavidGraves

I just got back from my first real trip to AB. I had some great potential campsites from a friend who goes often. Sadly after our recent week of storms two of the locations were blocked by mud and washed out trails. The first night was spent in an open area which is not state park land south of Clark Dry Lake. The lake is a mud hole. I checked out a couple locations and finally gave up and spent the night there parked by another pop-up. The second day I did some sightseeing and then went hunting for a spot. The one I found is great for solitude.

33°11'15.4"N 116°23'11.3"W
This is technically inside the park but the roads in close proximity have many spots that are free to camp. I saw another popup and various other types of campers in the area as well as the famous metal statues from a local artist.

I will also suggest the east side of Pisgah Crater. This was my primary destination for this past trip but after my friend told me about AB I decided to head there. I've been to Pisgah once but never camped there. If you click on the link you can see many vehicles parked. You will also notice a couple fire rings. When I checked it out in person there were about four to five fire rings.

34°44'45.0"N 116°22'25.1"W
Mojave is also a great place to find various campsites. I've camped at the Kelso Dunes and it was pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom