Headed to Saline Valley Sun thru Wednesday

generubin

Electric Baja
Hi guys,

Anne and I decided to do a quick trip to Saline. Leaving Sunday (tomorrow the 20th) morning early from Ventura. We'll be there Sunday through end of Wednesday. Just saying.....in case anyone is headed there. Andy? Suni? skis?

South Pass is the way for us. Supposedly in bad shape but not nearly as bad as this time a year ago....

Tempting, I have the time but not the funds. Only getting 30 hours this week. Going to be a slow winter.

Thanks Guys, last minute, but I can't believe it's been a year since we were there! Normally we get to Saline at least 3 times a year.

Never been there before Gene, I heading out of here on monday, had jury duty and now I'm free and going somewhere and I'm always looking for new adventures, so give me a reason why it's worth that long run from Susanville down to the southern desert? Been in the general area, doing things for the BLM before, but everything down there is new to me once I get south of Bishop. Not saying I'm going down, just give me a reason other than it may be hotter than here :p !

Smoke

Well, the more I look at the maps, maybe not this time-but who knows, but I'm still open to "why" I should go there, maybe I could just head south on 395, thru the area of the "fall colors thread"- I've played allot around the Mono Lakes area in the past- and see where I end up-you know it's sort of scary thinking about going places you have never really been, but what is the "Wandering the West" site for anyway, having info on new places is what's it all about :eek: isn't it? Got a good buddy that keeps telling about that area, but me I'm a high desert/coast sort, but maybe open to new places to explore :cautious: !

Smoke

Smoke,

Well, I have been traveling for many, many years to some really fine places. But Saline Valley Hot Springs is the place I call home. You need a few days there to get the feel of it. There are a few entry roads. At this time the North Pass is impassable, so we are going in the South Pass. Also there is Lippincott Road and Steele Pass, both of which you really shouldn't take on your first time in. South Pass is 50 miles or so of nasty road, a bit worse than usual this time. But heaven awaits you at the end. Days are 90, nights 60 at this time.

More info here, and be sure to read South Pass conditions. http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

I carry chains at all times. A freak storm, even this time of year can leave you stranded without chains as the passes are high and steep.

Thanks :D , something new to put on my list to see, ever head up here to the high desert let me know; you know, there are a allot of really nice places out there in the world to see, and sometimes it seems like you just don't have enough time to see them all, but it's sure fun trying right? Have a good trip and give us a nice tr about it and who knows you may see a old 99 ford f150/fwc out there one day -probably with a border collie mix -sitting in the front seat with a ball in his mouth :D ! Take care!

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Thanks :D , something new to put on my list to see, ever head up here to the high desert let me know; you know, there are a allot of really nice places out there in the world to see, and sometimes it seems like you just don't have enough time to see them all, but it's sure fun trying right? Have a good trip and give us a nice tr about it and who knows you may see a old 99 ford f150/fwc out there one day -probably with a border collie mix -sitting in the front seat with a ball in his mouth :D ! Take care!

Smoke
Smoke,
I have spent quite a bit of time in your area and up a bit north of you in the Alvord and Blackrock deserts. When I was a lad, I used to go to Walking G camp outside of Taylorsville. Two years ago Anne and I went back to visit Susanville, Greenville and Taylorsville. Really, not so much had changed in 40 years!

Lighthawk said:
Cool, Gene & Ann. Looking forward to a road condition report later. Enjoy, it should be virtually empty.
Yes, though it should be empty, I'm bringing my fiddle just in case there's a lonely mandolin player sitting there.

Thanks for the invite Gene, just wrapping up a week long trip on the east side. We toyed with the idea if popping into saline but there just want enough time. We did manage a couple of nice soaks elsewhere though. Have fun and I look forward to a road report as well.

I'm heading to Valhalla end of the coming week.
For those who have never been it is well worth the trip and I can guarantee if you stay for a couple days you will be back. Can't wait to get back.

Saline is an awesome place. One of the last wild unspoiled places in the USA. You can drive for many miles and not see a man-made object other than the one you are in. The springs are for the social crowd, and I use the word "crowd" loosely.
Last time I camped near the bottom end of the old tramway. In a 24 hour period, only one vehicle went by on the way to the springs. Paradise.

I would say the Springs are for the social crowd dependent on time of year. Fall, Winter, and Spring holidays get busy but those are the times I try to avoid the springs. I'm thinking about camping one night down at the origin of the Salt Tram and do some photography.

I have been toying with the idea of checking out Saline Valley. I have time off coming up starting about the 9th of November through the end of the month. I'll leave Montana, head south to Ridgway, CO and stay there for a few days at Orvis Hot Springs. From there, I was thinking about making my way over to hit Saline, but wasn't sure of how much snow I should expect to see there at that time of year. I've got a locker equipped 4x4 Tacoma, chains all around, and being from rural Montana I'm very familiar with off-road driving in terrible conditions; I have to chain up to get to town fairly often.
This being said, is it reasonable to expect to be able to get in and then back out via the southern route (I read somewhere earlier in this thread that the northern route was already closed/impassable). Would it be better to just bag it and plan to find somewhere else to explore? How hard is it to find?
Oh, yeah, and where is this Valhalla place you speak of?

Unless there is a storm between now and the time you expect to arrive in Saline there shouldn't be any snow. Most of the time if it does snow it is at altitude. Since the North Pass is pretty jacked up anyway your focus would be on South Pass or Lippencott. My suggestion is come into Death Valley through Titus Canyon, fuel up at Stovepipe Wells and then check out Ubehebe Crater and the Racetrack then head into Saline Valley via Lippencott. Head north at Saline Valley Road and go to the springs. Get a good map and the cooridinates for the road turn off for the warm springs and Valhalla awaits you.

Report: We just got back from a wonderful few days at Saline. We had the entire Palm Springs to ourselves and our friends which came along. Lower Springs had maybe three camps plus Lizard Lee.

We took the South Pass. I've done the south well over 100 times in the last 30 years. Grapevine Canyon is much better than it was one year ago (at which time it bordered at treacherous until some work was done), at this time it is quite washed out with plenty of medium boulders and a few very deep washouts which will hang up any vehicle with too little departure angle. Rocks are very sharp in places and for long distances and strongly imbedded in the soil which is perfect for tire punctures. I had to do some front suspension repair work to a fellow traveler's F150 that was sporting oversize tires that were likely too heavy and too much leverage for his 1/2 ton control arms. Could have sent the suspension and wheels tucking under the truck at speed. Could kill a person! Keep it near stock folks! Style is one thing but back country travel requires reliability and a margin of safety.

What is worse this year than any I have seen in 30 years is the valley bottom. You will be lucky to see 20 mph for more than a few seconds. Everytime you think "ok, I can speed up now", there comes another deep washout.

Bat Rock Road is slow going with deep wash crossings.

Normally I do the South Pass in 2 hours. This time 4 hours. So 50 miles divided by 4 hours is 12 mph average.

My advice. You need good LT tires, full size spare etc. I would not suggest AWD's ie; Suburaru's etc.

There was a fellow who burned up his Xterra on fire by getting brush around the catalytic converter. Along with melting his truck into a pool of molten metal, he took out 500 or so acres of the brush between the cold pool and the salt tram. The fire kept us entertained throughout the night.

Yes, there was a fellow there, Sandy is his name who came in the north pass in a 2wd GMC Canyon (s-10). BTW, he had brand new set of BFG AT's of which one of them was chunking off big pieces of tread over the entire tire while the other three tires were fine. Hmm..quality issues? There was a Ford Expedition with 2 , 20 something couples, party sorts, that came in via north pass in the dark. They had never been to Saline before. How they found Bat Rock Road in the dark? I have no idea. They left via South Pass, again, in the dark!

A few vehicles came in through Steel Pass, no issues. Lippincott Road has no issues and is likely the easiest route in. Some people seem challenged by Lippincott. I never understand their apprehension. It's slow going and a bit narrow but not dificult at all.

ETAV8R's recommendation above is an excellent way to go!

All in all, with the road being worse than usual, the extra two hours of bone jarring is easily worth the complete lack of population at the Springs! I'm going back soon with my son.

Back
Top Bottom