Heading into Nevada - where to check out? :-)

hoyden

Lady Bug
I'm aiming for Logan, Utah to spend my birthday on Monday with an old friend and some delicious Indian food. So I have from tomorrow til then to get there.

Currently camper in Alabama Hills, Ca just outside of Lone Pine. Thinking I'll take the 190 back thru Death Valley, then?

Great Basin NP on the central/eastern side of Nevada looks good, and I remember liking Hwy 50 "the loneliest road in America" back when I drove it in '89 :)

Where else that is kinda on the way to Logan, Ut would be neat to check out?

Tanks!

I really like Berlin Ichthyosaur SP east of Gabbs. At 7000' it'll be cold at night but I love the solitude there. You could also go to Spencer Hot Springs southeast of Austin. The upper campgrounds at Great Basin are still closed but you should be able to get into Baker and Snake Creek.

Berlin-Ichthy is a nice CG, we use it a lot of the time when we're traveling thru that part of NV. The 190 is not the way that I'd go there though. I'd either take CA168 East over the Whites past the Bristlecone Pine turn-off to north on NV264 to Hwy 6 to US 95 etc., OR I'd take 395 to Hwy 6 (After stopping at Schaat's Bakery in Bishop) to US 95 and on up to Gabbs & then on to B-I. If you want Hwy 50 from B-I I'd suggest NV21 thru Ione and up to Austin as that turn is right at the base of hill that you'll descend coming back out of B-I. Watch your speed thru the Reservation section. If you want to hit 10,000' elevation in your truck in NV take the road that splits East off NV21 in the center of the Reservation that heads over a pass to the ghost town site of Ophir. The summit from the West is a fairly easy though completely unexpected drive for NV. Has a very Rockies feel to it. Do Not continue past the summit!!! The East side descent is gnarly!!

I don't think that you can go wrong choosing any thru road in NV. Some are gravel Super-Highways, some are paved. All are usually excellent and at worst merely good.

An interesting spot is Project Faultless: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Faultless+Test+Site/@38.636381,-116.2102718,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xaf3e46b389c30804!8m2!3d38.6342208!4d-116.2161791

ntsqd: I will most definitely NOT be taking the road that splits east off of NV21! Whoa!

Just looking at the Sierras from my camp in Alabama Hills gives me vertigo.

Project Faultless sounds fascinating. I think someone here did a pretty comprehensive Trip Report last year on that?

Devils Playground looks awesome! I think I'll hafta go there!

Ronin said:
I really like Berlin Ichthyosaur SP east of Gabbs. At 7000' it'll be cold at night but I love the solitude there. You could also go to Spencer Hot Springs southeast of Austin. The upper campgrounds at Great Basin are still closed but you should be able to get into Baker and Snake Creek.
With the snow continuing to fall around Idaho, I'd think this would be snow covered and not drive-able. We tried to get there a few years ago and it was about this time of year and this year there's a lot more snow.

hoyden said:
I'm aiming for Logan, Utah to spend my birthday on Monday with an old friend and some delicious Indian food. So I have from tomorrow til then to get there.

Currently camper in Alabama Hills, Ca just outside of Lone Pine. Thinking I'll take the 190 back thru Death Valley, then?

Great Basin NP on the central/eastern side of Nevada looks good, and I remember liking Hwy 50 "the loneliest road in America" back when I drove it in '89 :)

Where else that is kinda on the way to Logan, Ut would be neat to check out?

Tanks!
So many cool places in DV where you can disperse camp and let the dog run free! Just have to be off the pavement 2 miles (I think) and stay on the dirt/sand roads.

Back
Top Bottom