Heading to the San Juans

Barko1

Looks like I am going to be able to get out of Southern New Mexico for a week or so and am going to head to SW Colorado. May stay in Eureka or along South Fork Creek just NW of Silverton. Or I may go NW of Creede to the headwaters of the Rio Grande. Anyone going that way? I'm dragging a trailer so I won't be overnighting in the backcountry, Silvertip, bring that new bike and we can explore the high roads!

Bring your Gore-Tex, it's monsoon time up here. There's some fine trout fishing in the canyon below Rio Grande Reservoir. One of my favorite hike-in fishin' spots. You'll see far more fish than people.

Bring your Gore-Tex, it's monsoon time up here. There's some fine trout fishing in the canyon below Rio Grande Reservoir. One of my favorite hike-in fishin' spots. You'll see far more fish than people.

Not much of a trout fisher :( Was thinking of camping by there. A couple years ago camped by the falls and drove my dual sport up Bristol Head. I heard it has been a heavy monsoon. Drove the F250 and Grandby over Stoney Pass to the Reservoir, not an easy trip :LOL:

Not much of a trout fisher :( Was thinking of camping by there. A couple years ago camped by the falls and drove my dual sport up Bristol Head. I heard it has been a heavy monsoon. Drove the F250 and Grandby over Stoney Pass to the Reservoir, not an easy trip :LOL:

Pretty hard to go wrong in the Rio Grande headwaters. Fine country.

It's an impressive monsoon up here so far. Not getting it down south?

Rains have been hit of miss. We have gotten some, a few miles North maybe 3X as much, hit or miss. Hot and dry the last few days, more moisture coming, hopefully we'll get some of it. And maybe I'll catch a break up that way, if not Moab is nearby :)

Rains have been hit of miss. We have gotten some, a few miles North maybe 3X as much, hit or miss. Hot and dry the last few days, more moisture coming, hopefully we'll get some of it. And maybe I'll catch a break up that way, if not Moab is nearby :)

The current (this morning) NWS forecast calls for sogginess thru Tuesday with a drying trend next week. We're liking the moisture, but really want the sun back. Spoiled I guess...

Looks like I am going to be able to get out of Southern New Mexico for a week or so and am going to head to SW Colorado. May stay in Eureka or along South Fork Creek just NW of Silverton. Or I may go NW of Creede to the headwaters of the Rio Grande. Anyone going that way? I'm dragging a trailer so I won't be overnighting in the backcountry, Silvertip, bring that new bike and we can explore the high roads!

Don't know where I would put it!! I'm a half ton guy remember? :D

I do have a tentative trip planned to the San Juans in Sept after doing the White Rim Trail!!

I've been to Silverton area in July and early August. What's it like in the San Juans in mid to late September? I have tentative plans for that trip, too.

Haven't thought of the White Rim Trail lately. That would be a good time to go there. I did it in April or May of 1989, or so. Wonderful weather.

Perhaps our paths will cross.

-Buzz

I've been to Silverton area in July and early August. What's it like in the San Juans in mid to late September? I have tentative plans for that trip, too.

Haven't thought of the White Rim Trail lately. That would be a good time to go there. I did it in April or May of 1989, or so. Wonderful weather.

Perhaps our paths will cross.

-Buzz

The monsoons typically end by mid-September, so it can be a good time to be up high. The first cold fronts out of the northwest can start dipping down our way by then, so there's a possibility of snow above 10k, and nighttime temps below freezing... but it also can be gorgeous, i.e., cool and dry with daytime highs in the 60s-70s depending on the elevation. The aspens will start turning around that time.

Back
Top Bottom