Headliner material.

86Fleet2

One of the many things that I am planning to do is to replace my current headliner. I was reading Stan's comparison page and noticed that the FWC use "Top notch perforated vinyl marine headliner treated with mold & mildew retardant. " I can certainly understand having a mold and mildew retardant in the headliner. I have two questions about the headliner material.

1. Why vinyl? Is vinyl superior to a typical headliner material?

2. Why the perforations? The only thing that I can think of is that if there is a small leak in the roof, the moisture could escape.

I would love to hear about anyone's experience with headliner replacement.

Thanks, Laura

Perforations are likely to readily breath in case condensation gets up in the top insulation. My guess anyways.

One of the many things that I am planning to do is to replace my current headliner. I was reading Stan's comparison page and noticed that the FWC use "Top notch perforated vinyl marine headliner treated with mold & mildew retardant. " I can certainly understand having a mold and mildew retardant in the headliner. I have two questions about the headliner material.

1. Why vinyl? Is vinyl superior to a typical headliner material?

2. Why the perforations? The only thing that I can think of is that if there is a small leak in the roof, the moisture could escape.

I would love to hear about anyone's experience with headliner replacement.

Thanks, Laura

I just posted about the headliner on my 2001 Granby disintegrating. Literally, when you poke it pieces fall down. Did anyone ever comment about headliner replacement?

Ignore this; I just answered my own question on another thread.

Hi Mark and welcome.
I'm guessing you have at the very least a leak and at worst mold that is causing your headliner to crumble. It's a good idea to tear it out and solve the underlying problem good luck.

If the newer models are built like my older one, there is fiberglass insulation above the headliner and small vents on the outside trim along the perimeter. I assume it is built this way to wick moisture out to prevent or cut down on mold build up. Same way a house attic is done, soffit vents for intake air and roof vents for exhaust.
When warm air, that is high in moisture, meets a cold surface, which is low in moisture, the moisture in the warm air is removed causing condensation and results in dust and dirt collecting in the moisture and mold forming.

Back
Top Bottom