Headliner removal

RP2

Hello!
I wanted to ask if anyone has possibly removed the headliner on older FWC campers. More specifically an 02 eagle. Picked up a used one and have some small leaks under previous owner installed racks. How difficult is it to remove the small wood stripping and headliner material? If anyone has any tips for leaks please do not hesitate to throw advice either!
Thank you!

I removed the liner on my '00 eagle. The wood is really easy to remove with a flat crow bar and a hammer. Any remaining staples can be pulled out with plyers. Behind the headliner is insulation. I removed everything and put foam board between the supports and then put refletex up for the headliner.

Follow this link for the photos. https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/album/816-camper-projects/

I fought with the leaks for several years before I just coated the roof with Alkyd Fibered Roof Coating. Since then I have been leak free.

Those wood strips on the headliner were very fragile on my camper. I ended up making new ones by ripping a 1/8" sheet of maple plywood. I cut the headliner as close to the edge of the ceiling as I could. I also took out the fibreglass and replaced it with rigid foam board. I also added reflectix, taped so as to make a complete vapor barrier. Then got some new headliner from ATC (exact match to the old stuff!) for cheap, and screwed/glued it all back together. Details in my PUMA build thread.

You won't fix leaks from the inside though. Like Kolukcum says, you need to seal the outside. I removed all the screws on mine, cleaned up the area with a toothbrush and brake cleaner, applied new 3m4200 to the screws/washers and reinstalled the screws. No leaks.

Like others, the old strips are easy to take off and the staples just pull out. I used some equivalent strips you can buy at just about RV place, Home Depot, etc. I used small screws to install the new strips.

I have a 2001 Eagle but I would suspect your leaks are from roof screws (or maybe the roof vent).

Vic Harder said:
You won't fix leaks from the inside though. Like Kolukcum says, you need to seal the outside. I removed all the screws on mine, cleaned up the area with a toothbrush and brake cleaner, applied new 3m4200 to the screws/washers and reinstalled the screws. No leaks.
I agree! I just wanted to remove the headliner so I can see from underneath, where all the leaks are.
When you say remove your screws did you on the fan as well? Would it be worth removing the bolts and screws from the roof rack? I did not do the original install and would like to confirm it is sealed properly!

When you reseal the roof screws on the top, don't be stingy on the sealant. I covered my screws completely and my roof now looks like a polka dot but no leaks. Who cars what it looks like! :) Oh, and like others stated, take the screws out, clean it really well, put some sealant on the threads, re-install and then do as I stated previously; cover the entire screw head (and base) with sealant.

And do NOT use silicone! There are some UV resistance silicones that might be ok, but the usual stuff isn't UV proof, and it keeps future sealants/glues from sticking.

Back
Top Bottom