Heard of "Glam" Camping?

That's my mom...

If there isn't at least a shower available she's not going. She certainly can't understand why I like backpacking and 4x4 camping. I haven't told her it's to get away from people like her (I love her and I'm afraid it would be taken the wrong way, it's not her personality, it's all the amenities and the associated noise and lights she needs to be comfortable).

Their's nothing like getting away from all that stuff, with the only technology and comforts being what you bring. At least for me, the comforts consist of appropriate clothing and a comfortable place to sit and lay down. Being able to make a simple, hot, tasty meal is nice too. Of course when I was 16 I might have considered a FWC/ATC to be luxurious. Come to think of it, at 44 I do consider it Luxurious.

I finally found a camper that gets me where I want to go and I can stand up in to put my pants on in the morning, and cook in if it's raining outside. Honestly, those were the main considerations when I started looking for something beyond a simple shell.

It gets even better: I saw an article recently in either Backpacker, Outside or similar about "Glamping" in the UK. Apparently the 20-somethings there are now into partying while camping, but the camping is supposed to be outrageously hip. Hip as in with a martini bar in one tent, massage chairs in the other, etc. Just another fad surely destined to go by the wayside, the sooner the better.

The Wifesky took me Glamping over labor day weekend(10th anniversary also) in Montecito....I was thinking back country somewhere, but she insisted she knew a spot.......Her "spot" was pretty dang nice......

Attachments

• DSCN2043.JPG
    DSCN2043.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCN2060.JPG
    DSCN2060.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 417
The Wifesky took me Glamping over labor day weekend(10th anniversary also) in Montecito....I was thinking back country somewhere, but she insisted she knew a spot.......Her "spot" was pretty dang nice......

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That grassy area looks perfect for a FWC. Run a power cord into the bedroom :D

That's not camping...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to spend a weekend (or a life time) at a place like that, but that's not camping, glamping, or what ever you want to call it. Let me guess the menu...

Friday: Sea Bass, asparagus, a salad fresh from the garden with apples, walnuts and a light raspberry vinaigrette dressing and blue cheese, rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream.
Saturday: Tritip, red beans, garlic bread, fresh corn and BBQ artichoke, vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce.

Wifesky probably liked it a _whole_ lot better than any of the places I mentioned (come to think of it, you probably did too).

That is not camping. That's visiting the outdoors. I have the refer in my camper and I feel making my own ice is a luxaury. These people have way to much money. .... Wait a minuit, I just reread an earlier post. "Martini Bar" let's not be haisty here. Perhaps we're being too judgemental. They may have some good ideas. I for one will try to keep an open mind.

Cheers,

Mike

Not so much when I camp by myself, but when I go with friends we eat really well. Almost got competitive to see who could cook the nicest meal. Now we've got it down to a system. I do the appetizers. Mike does breakfast. Gabe does dinner. Tyger cleans up. Ever noticed the women just kind of watch when the men are cooking outdoors?

But yeah, I still of my FWC as a serious luxury tent.

That grassy area looks perfect for a FWC. Run a power cord into the bedroom :D

That's funny, as we starting to pack I asked where we were going
Wife said "Montecito, up on the hill"
And I said "will there be a nice place to pop the top?"
Wife said adamantly "We're not taking the cam damper!"

(hijack over:eek: )

I'm not sure if it's hollow..Epoxy foam that doesn't like air expansion ( or water!) I think is the deal with the plug(like the older wave sailing boards). The board is not mine, I had just picked it up for a buddy and couldn't resist christening it in the infinity pool..stand up paddle board..Suuuuuuper floaty..better be for $2000:eek:

Edddie, Tommie et al,
I feel better than I have in 20 years. Great sugeon and great results. Got out of stir on Sunday and am firmly ensconced in an LA apt. Cant wait to get back to the desert. Surgery was 4+ hours and my doc said he was surprised I could walk at all aftger he opened me up and saw the state of my back.

I havent needed any pain meds and I'm walking so its all good. Thank you all for your good thoughts now lets go camping.

Good news.

The best you've felt in 20 years! Glad to hear that. The weather should be turning real nice in the desert soon. I heard a news report that we may get rain along the California Central Coast this weekend... it may be headed your way.

Ed,
We're headed up to the Nard today for a visit with friends. We've been in LA hear the hospital and head back to Tucson on the 26th after the staples come out. Pam and I are dying to go camping and hope the group meet will come together next month. Still would like to go to Hole In the Rock out of Excalante.

Back
Top Bottom