Height of Hawk Model

rvp7777

I am looking at buying a Hawk but have a height constraint that I am trying to get my arms around. The height of a Hawk Model is specified on the FWC website as 59" including the vent. If I add that to the height above the ground of my truck bed, 36", I end up with a total height of 95" which is 2" inches more than I have clearance for. I suppose the truck will drop a bit when the weight is on and I can also let some air out of the tires but I am also interested in the roof rack which I am unsure as to whether this adds to the overall height or whether I can remove it easily.

Am I missing anything? Camper actually higher? 3/4 ton truck won't drop very much? Any ideas? Thanks.

Mines 88 inches high. Stock 4x4 dodge. No, the camper won't
drop it much unless your suspension is really soft. I still can't get it in the garage.

you could consider getting the Yakima racks,
because they are mostly removable, pretty easy & quick

the aluminum boat / luggage rack does not come on/off easily

the aluminum boat/luggage rack is the same height as the roof vent
on all the new campers, so it won't add any extra height over
what is there for the vent already

by law we have to install a roof vent in the camper (unless you
order an empty shell model)

but I have seen customers remove the roof vent once they
get the camper so they could get the camper in the garage

not sure that it was the greatest idea (I like having roof vents for fresh air)
but it worked for their needs of the garage fit issure

hope this helps

==================================================

I am looking at buying a Hawk but have a height constraint that I am trying to get my arms around. The height of a Hawk Model is specified on the FWC website as 59" including the vent. If I add that to the height above the ground of my truck bed, 36", I end up with a total height of 95" which is 2" inches more than I have clearance for. I suppose the truck will drop a bit when the weight is on and I can also let some air out of the tires but I am also interested in the roof rack which I am unsure as to whether this adds to the overall height or whether I can remove it easily.

Am I missing anything? Camper actually higher? 3/4 ton truck won't drop very much? Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• Roof Vent Removed and Covered Flat.jpg
    Roof Vent Removed and Covered Flat.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 274
roof vents

If i remember i think you can get flush roof vents at marine supply outlets like west marine.Just a idea if you only need 1-2 inchs,cheaper than raising your garage door.
I did have a car collector that lived near us when we lived in Borrego springs that cut two channels in his garage cement floor and drive way so he had clearance to put his vintage Rolls Royce in garage.It really was not that involved,he did it himself,rented a cement saw made his cuts dug down added rebar across cuts and poured cement gave him 4+inchs,added rubber flaps to bottom of door and he was good to go.Would not suggest this if you by chance rent!!
Just my nickels worth (inflation)
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les, Lqhikers

I would also advise against it if you have a post tensioned slab... you definitely don't want to cut one of those cables... that would be messy.

Would an average garage floor be post tensioned? My limited knowledge, I thought that applied mostly to bridges and such.

Back
Top Bottom