Helicopter pulling wires, wow!

pvstoy

Not far from my house there is a helicopter that is pulling new high tension electrical wires from pole to pole. He needs to pull the wire up from the back side of the pulley and rest it on top. The move to the next pole and repeat.

And it is pretty windy here today to add even more of a adventure!

Just thought it was pretty cool and a good pilot.

Image taken with cell phone in front yard.

Cheers, Patrick
20231010_125845_resized.jpg

Very cool!

It reminds of a similar operation I saw while driving on the Florida Keys highway, January 2022. A power pole next to the causeway, set in the sea bed, was being serviced by a linesman sitting on, tethered to, the skid of a hovering helicopter...! Requires precision and ballsiness!
I would have loved to stop and watch, but no stopping allowed on the causeway.

FB_IMG_1696977232039.jpg FB_IMG_1696977237707.jpg

(fone fotos, heavily cropped, taken through the windshield while driving)

There is a haul road to a pit and beyond that there is a big work truck with a long crane parked on the road with a pulley on the end to maintain clearance. There is a lot of slack dropping down.

Nice work! We see a lot of helicopter-borne power line maintenance in the heavily forested South. I noticed the flying outfit is out of Tabor City, NC. Tabor City isn't at the end of the world, but from atop a fence post you can see it from there.

Foy said:
Nice work! We see a lot of helicopter-borne power line maintenance in the heavily forested South. I noticed the flying outfit is out of Tabor City, NC. Tabor City isn't at the end of the world, but from atop a fence post you can see it from there.
:)

Back
Top Bottom