Hello - and a quick question

Otis

Advanced Member
IMAG0086.jpg

A quick hello -
We picked up our new Eagle on the 15th of May. Thirty years of tenting and we felt like a bit more comfort was in order. So far only one short solo trip over Memorial weekend. I encountered every version of weather, short of heavy snow, and the camper was warm, dry bliss! The pic above is at Page Springs near French Glen, OR. This coming weekend we hope to squeeze in a Friday night to Sunday outing in the local hills. Options we chose are:
furnace
side dinette
10' Yakima rails (I have an assortment of old yakima stuff to facilitate carrying on the roof)
fantastic fan
screen door
3-way fridge
Auxillary battery

It rides really well on our pickup, a 2010 Frontier CC with the "long" bed (73") - I added Ride Rite air bags and 10 ply tires and it handles well - on the first outing with water and propane and goods for a weekend I averaged right at 17 mpg, - I was pleased with that, I was expecting 14-15 or so -

My quick question: any worries hanging a 2 1/2 gallon solar shower from the roof rack when the top is popped up? would be about 20# or so - my thought is that it would be fine, but I would hate to tweek the roof by putting too much weight in the wrong place, any feedback or thoughts are appreciated -

I have already gleaned much good information from WTW - lots of great sharing and experience driven wisdom here, thanks to all who share.

Congrats on the camper. Page Springs is a nice spot! And nope, shouldn't have any trouble hanging a shower as you described. I've tweeked my roof and it takes a lot more than hanging something from it....

How are you going to access the roof? If you have rear steps on the back of camper you might not have to hoist that bag full of water that high. You can hang it from the higher step, yet still have height enough to shower.

Thanks for the welcome ski3 and dirty dog -

Radicalfil, I thought about just using the highest wall step for a hanger, but when I experimented a bit, even at 5'4" I would still need to sit on a stool to get under the nozzle - figuring out a shower hanger will be part of the fun at each new camp site.

Thanks all for your replies -

I hang my solar shower from my Yakima rack without any problems. Before I pop the top I run a rope over the rack then hoist the shower after the roof is lifted.

camelracer said:
I hang my solar shower from my Yakima rack without any problems. Before I pop the top I run a rope over the rack then hoist the shower after the roof is lifted.
That's kind of what I was thinking, was just wondering about concentrated weight on the roof - but from folks' replies it doesn't seem to be a worry,
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom