Hello, and mounting into wood

camper101

First: Hello! I just got my Eagle Shell on Saturday. You'll of course need to see a picture, so I'm attaching the best I have. I promise I'll get some better ones.

We spent our first night out where it was probably in the high 20's overnight. We were so excited that the cold hardly bothered us, but more heat will be nice. We've had our Wave 3 sitting around while waiting on the Shell to arrive (seemed like forever...) and now I'm ready to do a more permanent mount. For now, it's just temporarily mounted on a board so we can get a feel for things.

My questions for now are about mounting into the wood. I'd prefer not to drill into the aluminum just yet, and would rather build up from the base. The attached photo gives an idea of what I have in mind (except I'd use nicer shelving instead of 2x4's). Then I'd attach some kind of mount for the Wave 3, possibly a swinging arm.

Can I screw into the wooden base there and build up? How far into the FWC's wood can/should I go, or do I need to go all the way through and bolt it from the bottom?

The idea is to have 20 lbs of weight, and the shelving might hang over the edge (towards the door) as the 2x4 does in the picture. In fact, all of the weight might be on the part that hangs over if I just use a swinging arm. I guess I could support some of the weight that hangs over by jamming something between the floor and the board. This is a semi-permanent install, but it doesn't need to be beautiful and I'm not the most skilled craftsman (and I'm OK with that). Over time I'm sure we'll tweak and improve.

By the way, this is a Shell with the rollover couch on the driver's side. So the rear passenger side is looking like the most attractive place to mount the heater.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• Mounting.jpg
    Mounting.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 189
  • MedFWC2.jpg
    MedFWC2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 174
Having a Wave 3 on a swing arm is a good idea.

You will need to bolt through the wood, the vibrations of driving on a rough road will pull screws out, especially if you have something out on an arm.

Thank you both!

I figured I'd take the heater off when driving, and just have a lightweight board permanently mounted to the swing arm (with the screws where the Wave 3 wants them so I can just slap the heater on when I set up camp). Seems like I still might want to bolt through though.

Thanks again.

camper101, here is how I mounted our wave 3 I used wood screws for the hinge. I have not had any problems with screws wiggling loose on rough roads. An easy cure is to dab some epoxy into the hole before snugging the screw down. Most epoxies are heat sensitive, just touch it with an electric soldering gun to loosen the epoxy and they will unscrew out if you need to remove.

Thanks ski3pin, that is helpful to see and gives me some ideas.

If I don't have a bunch of long arms creating leverage I can see how I might not need to go all the way through the wood. The thought of drilling all the way through is a little scary to me at this point. Maybe once we've had it longer and know exactly where the best place is for everything.

Back
Top Bottom