Help Deciding

Graton said:
That's why I also posted in a T@B forum since I was very interested in the decision process and to learn about alternative reasons that I might have missed - and their were plenty. For example, Bill's point about winter camping - I'm less than four hours to Tahoe and didn't really think about how bad it would have been going over the pass pulling a trailer in the winter. I'm still leaning towards getting a camper for the truck since I don't like double the length of my vehicle and limiting the places I can go. The ability to drop a trailer still appeals, but I think that is a less important factor.
Did I mention that I can take my FWC through any drive through :)

There is another option. I finally found a FWC Eagle used here in the east. I've wanted one for years. But I'm still refurbishing my old school mini pickup to carry it. So in the meantime we've been using our Eagle on my boat trailer as a taga-long camper towed by my SUV. It has worked wonderfully. I think it would be easy to find a small NEW utility trailer that would carry an Eagle/Fleet for under $1000. Or a used trailer for a few hundred. That way for certain trips you could just load the camper on the trailer and base camp with it and use your truck to get to trail heads ect.

I even mounted temporary bike rack on the trailer. It works so well this way If my boat didn't need the trailer I'd be tempted to leave it set up this way quite a bit.

It's a little Jed Clampett but who cares. It works.

@squacth - definitely a bit on the Clampsett style of design aesthetics, though very functional and I like the concept a lot. Best of both worlds and probably not too hard to find a used trailer. If I ever explore that, I'd like to hear more about your mods and methods of mounting it to the trailer.

No mods at all. My boat is a flat bottom 17' mod V Jon with an outboard jet. It's for fishing shallow rivers. The trailer has 4 flat bunks. 2) 2x6, 2)2x4. The side bunks you see are just for aligning the boat when I drive it on the trailer. The camper fits between them fine.

So basically it's just a flatbed trailer. I just jack up the camper. Back the trailer under it. Set the camper down. I then wrap 4 short lengths of chain around the frame rails and use the factory turnbuckles to hold it down. The ratchet straps are just insurance. I try to balance the weight over the axle.

I drove it home from Florida this way when I bought it. I've have it down to NC twice this fall. it has never even moved at all. Not even a little bit on the trailer. It weighs a lot less than the boat too. Only issue is it does catch some wind as it sits back from the truck a bit.

I temporarily added a couple of 2x4 to the center for a little more floor support.

Really no different than sitting in a truck bed. I had to do this in a pinch to get it home when I got it. The truck project keeps dragging and we almost rented a camper for our fall 2 week Outer Banks trip and the wife said why not put it back on the boat trailer. Why not? I've since done 2 more week long trips with it this way. It's currently stored on this trailer for the winter.

Pic also shows how easy it is to level with only 3 points. Just drive onto a board to get side to side level. Then run the tongue jack up or down.

Graton, I am so glad to see this thread :)
I have been a member here for a year or so and have been learning and planning. I don't retire until next year so I have not been in a rush. This has given me lots of time to gather info.
Watching others go through the decision process will often bring up something I had not considered so I love it when people ask questions.
Alaskan is the camper I am leaning towards at the moment but I have been inside several FWC campers and I can say they are very nice :) I thought about the trailer idea but agree with the statements from our fellow WTWer's about accessibility. I want to take pictures and the best pictures are usually down the toughest roads :) Either way you end up going you could not find a nicer bunch of super helpful people. Good luck and can't wait to see what you get :)

Squatch....
Great way to add large amounts of flexibility to the Truck camper!
One of the drawbacks (leave easily in camp) has now been solved for special situations!
I like it!

I thought about the whole tent/camper/trailer thing for a long time. Finally realized that to get where we want to camp a trailer was out. I think the truck FWD camper combo will go anywhere I would take my truck without it. The camper is mounted permanently so I didn't bother with jacks. If you come from tent/backpacking the FWD will feel luxurious even with a shell model like we have. Remember any extra weight is a liability. We've done Steele Pass and Lippincott in Death Valley with the camper no problem. I'd get a camper if I were you.

-Bill

I see adding quite a bit of flexibility at a low price point a GREAT idea... If it fits their/someone's needs...
Admittedly not for everyone, and likely not even most of us see a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom