HELP! Propane Tank Purge Reno Area?

teledork

Pinyon Jay
Does anyone know where can I get my propane tank purged somewhere in the Reno/ Carson City area? I've called too many places who do not seem to know what I am talking about, or my call is "transferred" (apparently to a black hole) and I am beginning to worry more than just a little.

don't believe what the internet tells you
Tractor Supply - no idea what I was talking about
Uhaul - NO!
Carson City RV - no idea what I was talking about
Micheal Hohl RV - got a maybe (once I got a living human) have to call back next week

our general store will fill tanks but she will not purge them

have to wait until a weekday to try the propane companies

I had no idea this would be the most difficult part of getting a new camper.

perhaps I should alter my request to ANYWHERE that I can get a tank purged (well, short of driving across seven states or going overseas)

Ok. Tractor Supply in Carson City said yes and said Minden should have known what I was talking about because they also sell and fill new tanks (but then again an employee in the Minden store tried to sell me some Chicken and Rice dog food by claiming it was "grain free" :unsure: )

Thanks Vic. It is all about the "seasoning" in most hardware stores - and it is not always a male of the species!

That happened to me here in Susanville a few years ago-but got lucky and found a smart clerk! The latest thing is how old your tank is-seems like there is a memo out a while back saying ya can't fill 'em past a certain age, but if you find someone who has been doing it for a while no problems-just the new ones being to safe!

Smoke

Amerigas at 720 glandale in Sparks. You go in around back of the storefront on Glendale. Just swing by, as I recall not so good at answering phones. I think I went at lunch and had to wait for the guy to come back from...lunch.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Dang, that sounds like an adventure of the no fun kind, but it sounds like you have a solution.

Have fun with that Bobcat.
no solution yet

Smokecreek1 said:
That happened to me here in Susanville a few years ago-but got lucky and found a smart clerk! The latest thing is how old your tank is-seems like there is a memo out a while back saying ya can't fill 'em past a certain age, but if you find someone who has been doing it for a while no problems-just the new ones being to safe!

Smoke
brand new tank

pvstoy said:
In the past I used U-Haul on Williams st and Saliman to purge my new tanks.
they said no

the local home delivery propane companies said no
someone called me back from Tractor Supply and their description of how they purge a tank does not match DOT instructions (and some odd thing about how they are "not allowed" to call it "purging")

I am beyond worrying and well into a state of freaking out.

I am somewhat confused about this being an issue. I have just taken the new cylinder to be filled and told the attendant that it is a new tank so do what is required for a first time fill. The fill station operator should know what to do. As propane is heaver than air, air will be on the top and be the first to exit leaving propane. What I have observed is the operator using the relief valve to vent longer than for a normal fill.

Some interesting information here. https://www.propanetankstore.com/blog/new-propane-tank-purging-is-important-/

Paul

PaulT said:
I am somewhat confused about this being an issue. I have just taken the new cylinder to be filled and told the attendant that it is a new tank so do what is required for a first time fill. The fill station operator should know what to do. As propane is heaver than air, air will be on the top and be the first to exit leaving propane. What I have observed is the operator using the relief valve to vent longer than for a normal fill.

Some interesting information here. https://www.propanetankstore.com/blog/new-propane-tank-purging-is-important-/
Paul
After a lot of phone calls it seems no one "purges" new tanks using the method described on that same website you linked to. That website also cautions against having the tank "purged" anywhere but a propane company but none of the propane companies I have spoken with will do it so I am more than somewhat confused. The "ranch" type stores seem to use the method you have observed. I don't seem to have options other than that.

I have an ATC so I called Marty and he said that they bleed the air out of the tank before filling it so you don't have to purge the tank. I had my initial fill done by my propane supplier (Suburban Propane) a year ago and asked them to purge the tank. They set it up to purge and turns out it didn't need to be. I haven't had any problems with my stove or furnace.

Ronin said:
I have an ATC so I called Marty and he said that they bleed the air out of the tank before filling it so you don't have to purge the tank. I had my initial fill done by my propane supplier (Suburban Propane) a year ago and asked them to purge the tank. They set it up to purge and turns out it didn't need to be. I haven't had any problems with my stove or furnace.
Hmmm. So much conflicting information. The paperwork given to me says the tank needs to be "purged". But after talking to someone at CAL Ranch in Carson (and Tractor Supply's comment how they "are not allowed to call it purging" or the guy at the RV place saying they "purge" a tank every time they fill it) I am beginning to think this is an issue of vocabulary and my ignorance.

I'm asking. I don't know. Couldn't one just have it filled and run a gas grill or something else for a bottle or two till it works itself clear?

I did stop in at U-Haul and had a chat. They stopped preforming purging tanks a year and half ago. He suggested Amerigas. They are down the street from me and I can call or stop in if you want.

I did not purge a tank once and the welding waste plugged a refrigerator orifice. Had a company waste the propane and do a purge.

Ronin said:
I believe you just took delivery of an ATC. Give Marty a call - he knows what he's talking about. He fills the bottle (if your camper came with one) to check the connections, stove and furnace. I can't believe he'd risk having to warrantee your appliances over this.

Back
Top Bottom