Help selling my 2008 Hawk camper.

bpain

I am planning on selling my 2008 Hawk camper next month. I have never sold anything this big. I was hoping the forum could give me few pointers.
How much should I sell it for? It is fairly well equipped and was stored inside. I used it about five times. What about a cashiers check? Do I only a only accept cash? Should I give them a bill of sale?

Thanks
Diane

What to sell it for is a common question that was adressed pretty well in this thread: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7493-what-is-a-fair-price-for-used-fwc/?hl=graph

Bought ours new 10 years ago so I'm not experienced as to the manner of payment. They say cash is best. But since you are probably talking more than 10 grand, that is a large amount to expect someone to have or to carry once you make the sale. maybe some others that have bought or sold used can help out more on that end.

Search on line for hawks for sale to get an idea of what to ask. As far as payment, cash is king but carries a risk. Bank or cashiers check OK find out the bank and go with the buyer to that bank to cash the check. If the buyer is from this site you should have no problem.

I am in Stockton and would like to get a Hawk with the extended front I have a 2002 with the short overhang.

PM sent.

Bill

I just bought a FWC about two weeks ago and the seller requested cash. I had to go to two banks (almost three) to get five figures worth of cash, kind of a pain. Everything worked out good, just interesting carring that much cash. As far as the bill of sale, he had the original bill of sale so he gave me that with the owners manual. At least if someone brings cash you know they are serious! Hope this helps, good luck with the sale (probably take about 20 min to sell a Hawk)

Diane, I purchased a truck last year in Arizona. I flew from Seattle to check it out. Once I was sure it was as described, we simply went to a local credit union that the seller belonged to. It was simply a matter of having the money withdrawn from my credit union account, and put into the sellers account. No physical cash traded hands. But, I think I could have withdrawn cash if needed. I was told Credit Unions have a mutual agreement amongst themselves, which keeps them competitive with the large nationwide banks.

I have been looking on and off for a Hawk for quite a while, perhaps yours is the one?

You can email me by clicking on my name. Good Luck, Bob

I have bought and sold a few big ticket items and cash has never been an issue. Sometimes you have to give the bank so time to gather it up tho. With cash there is no question. Even a cashier's check may or may not be ligit. And yes, you'll want a bill of sale one for you and the buyer. Check online at your Dept of Motor vehicles and see if they have pre-made form. It's also simple to do one yourself.

Hi Diane,

1. First contact Stan at Four Wheel Camper stan@fourwh.com
He is an excellent resource to help you set a price.
2. Go to the Wander The Wast Gear Exchange and review the ads for content. You will note you need to add pictures to whatever you Post.
3. Post add on Wander the West gear exchange and Craig's list for your area
4. Yes give the purchaser a Bill of Sale
5. When you agree on a price. Go with the purchaser to his bank to get cash or cashiers check.
6 Do - NOT - take a cashiers check from someone you do not know because anyone can print a very official check on a home computer.
7. If you take cash get it in OLD bills....NOT new as their are a lot of counterfeit $20's and $50's floating around.

About 6 months ago I sold my old Toyota and buyer paid me in cash....old bills...ones, twenties, fifties...$6,000 worth. We did the deal I ran to the bank.

Good thing is FWCampers are in high demand so it should sell fast.

Lastly take a man with you when you do the deal as it is safer to do it that way.

Thank you for the great pointers on selling a camper. It does not seem as hard as I thought it would be. After I take one last camping trip, I will apply what I have learned here today to figure out a price.

Thanks
Diane

Back
Top Bottom