Herdina Park/ Willow Flats Road - Arches NP

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
Hello all - was going through some trip pics of our spring visit to Arches NP and found my notes on a road we didn't take. Its on the west side of the park from Klondike to Willow Flats - I think its called Herdina Park Road. I had planned on paying it a visit (we had my mostly stock 04 Wrangler as a toad that trip) but the rangers at the visitor center were very negative about the road, and it was after noon on our last day there, so I put it on the list for next time. Just wondered if anyone has been down it lately?

thanks in advance,

-Vic

.... but the rangers at the visitor center were very negative about the road, ....

I have found this to be the case at all of the national parks if you ask about going off the main tourist route. I think the rangers are strongly encouraged to keep people to the main areas of the park, for various reasons. It is frustrating, but I have learned not to ask about any area outside the main paved roads, instead doing any needed research beforehand.

I will say that once off the main tourist route, any rangers that I have run into have been happy that I was out exploring. But they still remained tight lipped about any info on the area.

I had the same issue while in Utah, I went into "The Wave" in March. It is a long dirt road, muddy, some snow on it and the rangers were not optimistic that it would be passable. They showed me pictures of it. "If you get stuck, we will come looking for you in June", was the answer I received. Being polite (always) I asked them to look at my truck to confirm that it had a chance of making it. They became more optimistic, but still said "good luck". I had no problem whatsoever. The place was outstanding with zero people.

I had the same issue while in Utah, I went into "The Wave" in March. It is a long dirt road, muddy, some snow on it and the rangers were not optimistic that it would be passable. They showed me pictures of it. "If you get stuck, we will come looking for you in June", was the answer I received. Being polite (always) I asked them to look at my truck to confirm that it had a chance of making it. They became more optimistic, but still said "good luck". I had no problem whatsoever. The place was outstanding with zero people.

That's encouraging, 12valve. I've been discouraged to visit the Wave as it seems to be overdone and limited by quotas. Maybe I need to recalibrate and come in the winter. :)

Back
Top Bottom