Two Weeks in the Great Basin

OTG Ben

A week ago today, we started our adventure on the Great Basin Heritage Trail that would take us across much of northern and central Nevada and even into Utah. This is a day by day update of that trip.

Day 1: Virginia City to Stillwater Wildlife Refugre
Mileage: 142

Starting on October 11, I met up with a small group of folks in Virginia City to head out on the 2,000+ mile Great Basin Heritage Trail over the course of 14 days. Rolling into Virginia City at 8:30am, the rumble of loud trucks could be heard around town. Driving through the main strip, a large inflatable archway denoted the official start of the race. Taking a quick tour of town, I met up with our small group of folks.

In order to make up a bit of town, we opted to skip the normal route and instead took the rather trail over the pass that goes by the old Como mining camp. This section of trail was incredbily rocky and rather slow going. Finally making it past the slow going sections, we hit a series of BLM and county dirt roads, regularly cruising along at 40-50mph. Along the way, we stopped at the Mad Max playa (we deemed this an appropriate name given the burnt out, abandoned vehicles), and another stop at an old Pony Express station with the corral still in place, and remnants of the old water tank and possibly living quarters.

Finally making good time, we set our sites for the Stillwater Wildlife Refuge outside of Fallon. Late in the afternoon we finally made it to the Wildlife Refuge. Running short on daylight, we found a beautiful spot upslope of the regure, with inredible views of the many lakes an playas that dotted the valley. The sunset camp was the best I've seen in a long time!

index.php (16).jpg

Gold Rush truck race would kick off the following day.

index.php (17).jpg

index.php (18).jpg

index.php (19).jpg

index.php (21).jpg

index.php (22).jpg

index.php (23).jpg

index.php (24).jpg

index.php (25).jpg

Attachments

• index.php (19).jpg
    index.php (19).jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0