Here we go again (East Coast hurricane watch)

Foy

Resident Geologist
Seems like every year at around this time we have these darned hurricanes along the East Coast. Got a big'un headed our way now, and it's looking more and more like our Raleigh, NC hometown will be visited by the right front quadrant (aka the bad side) along about Tuesday afternoon. That's the good and bad of forecasting nowadays: The good is that within 5-7 days of arrival, the meteorologists have gotten very good at predicting the path of the center of tropical cyclones. The bad is of course a nonstop sense of foreboding over what's to come. Keeping busy with the hurricane checklists and making sure the elderly mother, adult sons, and the 2 grandbabies are all well-situated by late in the weekend is the best way to keep from fretting about it all.

It's hunkerin' time, East Coast WTW'ers!

Foy

Foy, take care and stay safe. You have a great attitude about preparations, fretting, and what's important! Our best wishes to you Foy!

We were supposed to leave for the Outer Banks with the camper yesterday morning. But we bagged the trip because of Irma. It's not going to be pretty anywhere along it's path. St Marteen got clobbered!

Anyone down south get the hell out if you have to!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care and be safe.

One of my wife's aunts was vacationing on St. Maarten. We heard from her before the storm struck that they were taking shelter, but no word since, News reports indicate that Princess Juliana airport was nearly destroyed as the island took a direct hit from the cyclone. We're all on needles and pins here........

The NWS updates the forecast track every 6 hours, at 0500, 1100, 1700, and 2300. The 1100 today is very hopeful for central and eastern NC. She crosses into western NC from upstate SC at around 0800 Tuesday with sub-hurricane force winds of around 60 mph. Raleigh may not see much at all if this holds out as fact. The Low Country of SC, Savannah area of GA, Hilton Head, and most of the lower SC Piedmont look like they'll be taking a Cat 3 or 2 directly on the chin.

Yes, the pictures and video coming from St Maarten are incredible. They got the eye wall and its 185 mph sustained winds yesterday. Surely most if not all communications are down and will be for a while.

Foy

Hoping for the best, Tuff Guy! <3

Oh, that's good news, for NC and upstate SC, Foy!
Crossing fingers that y'all don't get much for hurricane and that lower SC doesn't get hit too badly!

Foy stay safe and hope the NWS is correct.
I have a daughter who just moved to a new house about 50 miles north of Tampa buy about 20 miles from the coast.
There hasn't been any evacuations yet.
Hope the whole thing swings out to sea.
Frank

The forecast track has shifted back to the west with FL now taking it right up the middle, as does GA. The northern reach of the 5-day track is a full 300 miles or more west of where it was 24 hours ago.

But NC's salvation comes at FL's and GA's cost.

I have a sister in Ocala. She's got a herd of horses she can't or won't leave, so she, her daughter, and her son-in-law are hunkering.

I am cancelling my plans to keep my office open through the weekend to offset expected lost time next week. Looks like we in most of NC, especially the eastern 2/3 to 3/4, are good for now.

Stay safe folks!

Foy

Foy, glad to hear your report. Our hearts go out to those in the path. It's gotta be a helpless feeling.

My daughter north of Tampa just called.
There are evacuations for the areas west of St hwy 19.
She lives east and about 40 miles north of Tampa.
She is prepared to sit it out.
No evacuations for her area.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom