Hey Deltarat & Marc - suspension questions

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I'm going to get some suspension mods before Death Valley. My current setup is just too soft for what we did in Colorado. Based on Marc's recommendations I want to get a leveling kit and some shocks - but is there anything else I need? I remember Marc giving me the rundown on what I would need there but I forget now.

And Deltarat - what kind of airbags are you running? Do you recommend them?

Thanks!

Aaron,

since you have a ford I would go with the dr/icon set up. With their leveling kit you will get a new set of front progressive Springs, shocks and a camber alignment kit and a new set of shocks and blocks for the rear. This will give your truck the same stance as mine. You will still need a set of bags as your truck has softer springs in the rear than mine does. I thnk Bob is running a KORE set up with 5100 Bilsteins, bags and a soft ride springs in the back. He has a pretty nice set up.

marc

I'm going to get some suspension mods before Death Valley. My current setup is just too soft for what we did in Colorado. Based on Marc's recommendations I want to get a leveling kit and some shocks - but is there anything else I need? I remember Marc giving me the rundown on what I would need there but I forget now.

And Deltarat - what kind of airbags are you running? Do you recommend them?

Thanks!

Hi Aaron,

Marc is correct..I'm using the Kore Recon suspension kit which includes new springs for the front, new spring packs for the rear, new shocks all around, Billet Drop Blocks, new Bump Stops, and Kore Dampener. I'm also using Carli Long Travel Airbags..They allow full rear suspension travel. Firestone, etc. airbags allow only limited rear suspension travel which could be an issue during serious off roading.

All of the above is Dodge specific, and don't know what's available for Ford, but I'd guess there's equivalent kits for your rig.

If you want to go to the next level from the 5100's the 7100's are great for DV roads fully tune-able and rebuildable. I run these on my Cruiser and they do a great job.
Unfortunately the cost is up there.

HTH
ken

**********Slight Hijack***********

Could you tell me more about the Carli long travel bags.
Thanks
Hijack off

ken

Hi Aaron,

Marc is correct..I'm using the Kore Recon suspension kit which includes new springs for the front, new spring packs for the rear, new shocks all around, Billet Drop Blocks, new Bump Stops, and Kore Dampener. I'm also using Carli Long Travel Airbags..They allow full rear suspension travel. Firestone, etc. airbags allow only limited rear suspension travel which could be an issue during serious off roading.

All of the above is Dodge specific, and don't know what's available for Ford, but I'd guess there's equivalent kits for your rig.

Links for reference. These are some of the upgrades I was planning on when I considered switching to a super duty.

Carli airbags.
http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/ford-super-duty/components/longtravelairbags.html

Icon 2.5" kit.
http://www.iconvehicledynamics.org/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_28_54&products_id=48

I should point out that you also have the option of buying individual components from Icon if you wanted to run different shocks, different height rear blocks, etc.

If it was me I would avoid using rear blocks. Get the right springs and do it right the first

Donahoe is "the only way to go on a Ford" never let anybody install anything under your truck that involves blocks, if all you want is a leveling kit you won't need springs,but if you replace them Deaver or ARB are good choices. As for shocks, before somebody here tells you to get a set of Rancho 9000 s, do your self a favor and take a look at Kings, I know they are going to look pretty pricey, but if you want the best you can get you won't have to look any farther. If you would have done this first you might still have the running boards, although I don't know why you would want to.

EAT CRAB, WE'RE STILL GETTIN' EM'

What about maintenance? I would also be interested in a suspension mod like this. But I have heard that no matter which option you go with, Icon, Kore, King, etc., these aftermarket systems require rebuilds every couple of years. Seems like having to do this adds more cost and hassle than its worth. Do those of you with this upgrade do the regular maintenance and is it worth the expense?

Donahoe is "the only way to go on a Ford" never let anybody install anything under your truck that involves blocks, if all you want is a leveling kit you won't need springs,but if you replace them Deaver or ARB are good choices. As for shocks, before somebody here tells you to get a set of Rancho 9000 s, do your self a favor and take a look at Kings, I know they are going to look pretty pricey, but if you want the best you can get you won't have to look any farther. If you would have done this first you might still have the running boards, although I don't know why you would want to.

I think on a 250 I will need blocks or springs in the back correct? I'm not getting much help locally as the shop I usually go to won't do Icon cuz they are a "mail order outlet". Another local shop just closed. I don't have a lot of options here.

Question - do reguar airbags limit the travel on a stock suspension setup? Would Carli airbags provide some advantage on a stock setup? Thinking about maybe getting the airbags now and the suspension after DV.

Back
Top Bottom