Hi, and What did I do and Can I fix it??

Mosby

Hi folks, just signed up and after searching I couldn't find a answer to my question. Well, we have a 2008 Palomino Bronco atop a 97 4x4 F250 Powerstroke and we probably take it places it shouldn't be at times. No real crazy rock hopping, just back country USFS roads in bad shape and uneven terrain. It is mounted directly to the frame Tork Lift tie downs w/standard turnbuckles tightened hand tight. I've read if you really tork them down with a lever you can warp things, so I am careful not to over torque and only use my hand/arm strength.

Anyways, I just noticed the other day the gap between the door and frame is wider at the top than bottom. It is to the point where the aluminum weather strip is actually riding inside the frame when parked on an angle. There is definite wear/rub marks. Is this something that can be adjusted or do I just live with it. Kind of freaks me out cause the bugger was not inexpensive. I plan on a July 4th family trip down an old road we busted open to the creek and wondering if I should loosen up on the less traveled camper adventures.
I thought maybe the frame/ internal structure component, but I figured since it is hooked to the frame it wouldn't flex that much. When it is parked on a level surface it is OK. But my driveway is not level on any plane, nosedown and tilted to the left when viewing from rear. I also removed the electric jacks to cut down on weight and have less things hanging off the sides.

Than again, a RV tech I was talking with said in sort of jest, "these things are put together with spit and toothpicks".

Here is a picture of the door;
[URL="http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/Mosby01/th_CmprDr.jpg[/IMG[/URL"]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/Mosby01/th_CmprDr.jpg[/IMG[/URL[/URL]]

Thanks,
Mosby

I'm not the expert, but we had someone here have cracks develop at the top corners of the doors. I believe this is a frame issue, but can be fixed. Search on door cracks or frame cracks and you might turn up a thread. I'm sure someone else will add more useful info shortly.

Since it is so new, I'd hate to give bad info... I'd call Palomino and ask for their input -
PALOMINO RV
1047 E. M-86, P.O. Box 802
Colon, MI, 49040
Phone: (269) 432-3271

As I recall the Palomino has a 2 piece entry door. If thats still the case it is probably the root of your problem. My first pop up had the same kind of door. It seriously degrades the integrity of the structure. You basically are dpending on a giant U shape to stay square on a camper that is shifting from side to side. Further you end up with more shifing and eventually ending up out of sauare back there.

When I had mine I ended up taking the top piece of the door out. Squaring up the top the best I could. I then put in a piece of 24 X.25 inch ply from side to side and through bolting it in several places. I then modified the bottom section of the door. I'm afraid the damage was already done but It worked pretty well until I sold it.

Thanks for the contact information, I'll call and ask how the door frame is constructed and may have to fabricate something as suggested. I have also been advised to purchase the Tork Lift Springload Kit as the rigid set up which acts as outriggers combined w/ frame twist will tear the camper apart. I can believe that once I visualize what is happening on uneven terrain. Hopefuly the springloaded set up will allow for some moderate flex. I need to call tork lift and get their input. Has anyone tried this solution? It isn't going to be inexpensive but worth not tearing the camper apart or settling on staying in KOAs. I'll let you all know the outcome, but I am still going out this weekend, but not through the brush down into the holler. We are pushing high 90's here on the Klamath so we'll gain elevation on a coastal heading to cool off.

Have a happy a safe July 4th all...

Mosby

Back
Top Bottom