Hi lift jacks

buckland

Site Team
Have done a search in gear forum and here trying to find the string about the need for bringing along Hi lift jacks. I would be interested in hearing how essential they are (I do not have a winch...wish I did). Are they worth the weight? In what predicaments has one been extracted from by using one? Best place to but if needed. I live in mud/rut country where a winch would probably be more useful but get completely overwhelmed by the price and choice discussion. I have a 2011 Eagle on a Tacoma.

I carry one and a shovel if I am going into the backcountry. The New hi-lift jacks have more tools and gadgets that go with them. I have the the handle keeper and the lift mate. The lift mate is awesome. You can lift up just one tire. granted if your going to remove the tire you will need a stand. It is more for lifting up the tire and putting rocks under it or chains on. I added a front hitch to carry mine. I built this one. I didn't want to attach it to the camper because they are heavy and I don't think it would do any favors to the camper. My solution might not be for everyone but it works for me. The Hi-lift can be used as a winch if the need was there. Years ago you had to lift from the bumper. The lift mate is the only way to go with these new trucks without the old school steel bumpers.

img_112489_0_c7324b13a5148ccccfc146b64988acc8.jpg

img_112489_2_bc1fa53f3712590d7499a5c7e8a4514e.jpg

img_112489_4_e093c657f3a2775f0f1e8bb33d4ed765.jpg

img_112489_6_aa7d24bda1564e4d68ed15b48068ba4e.jpg

img_112489_8_1d54b1dc0320372ba95749a8dde7885b.jpg

Do you need one? I haven't needed mine yet (on the truck, the Jeep is another story) but I wouldn't be without it. Its a relatively inexpensive tool that'll things nothing else can. When you're high centered or need to raise one tire it works. I've never tried using one as a winch though by all accounts they do work for a very short pull.

craig333 said:
Do you need one? I haven't needed mine yet (on the truck, the Jeep is another story) but I wouldn't be without it. Its a relatively inexpensive tool that'll things nothing else can. When you're high centered or need to raise one tire it works. I've never tried using one as a winch though by all accounts they do work for a very short pull.
X2 pretty much same as Craig. Carry it but haven't had the need to use it but don't go off road without it.

I was asking about this on ExPo a while back, and some questions about the weight limits of Hi-Lifts came up. Ultimately I got a shovel/pick/sledge as a "better than nothing" approach, but I'm curious about adding another arrow to the quiver.

I see the rated capacity is 4,660 lbs.

The type of use you guys are talking about (lifting a wheel to get something under it) seems like it could come in handy. And it seems like you'd be well under the weight capacity just lifting one wheel of a Tacoma/Camper. Winching, on the other hand, I'm not as sure about. But I could easily be misunderstanding so feel free to set things straight...

I'm all for safety and keeping my head attached, so I'd rather err on the side of caution. And some of the best advice I got on ExPo was probably: get out and walk ahead to scout...

I also like the idea of using it to pull crap out that's blocking the road (although I also bring a hand-chainsaw).

There are a couple of pretty good threads on this site where we spent allot of times cussing and discussing the merits of carrying a handyman jack. Me, I have carried and used one for maybe 50 or so years (gee I'm getting old) and it is a part of my "getting Unstuck " gear. If you decide to carry one make sure someone shows you how to use it properly -like never, ever stand directly behind it as you jack your rig or what ever up. If you know how to use one they are great tools and along with a "come along" and a shovel and kitty litter should be part of any field kit-even if your rig has a winch. The more time you spend out in the back country, the more gear you will accumulate-better have something in the back that you never use, than to need it and it's not there.

Smoke

The lifts are tested to 7000. For winching the spot that I could see it working the best would be if you were high centered and just had to give a little tug to get over that high center. Throwing rocks into the hole and then jacking up one wheel to get rocks under that wheel is well under the rating. My whole front axle weighs only 3100 pounds. Again if using the lift mate your only lifting the wheel maybe a foot. That is well within the rating.

Thanks for all advice.
* Where might be the best place to purchase on line...and especially which model?
* Using it as a winch I suspect this means using it with a tow rope? (are there Youtubes on this?
* A lift mate... will have to look into that

Thanks Idahoan for the photos.. perhaps I could make a 2" set up like that and use on my back hitch and a step on top!
I assume the shovel is attached by a clip you made or is that also an attachment to buy.
Do they make the 2" hitch plate with bolts?

I still have hope to find someone locally that can do as good a job as Bosque Bill's mod to his camper steps to carry shovel and jack.
Have the steps, jack, shovel, and monkey clamps. Just need a fairly competent local welder to complete the project.

Anyone know someone competent near Hillsboro Oregon metro area?
Paul

Remember, when you do a setup like pictured, you limit your approach clearance dramatically. You might be using that shovel and high-lift jack just to get you over the next rock.

Also keep in mind it will get dirty if mounted outside. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that means more wear and tear (or at least more care is required).

I have had my Hi-Lift inside a piece of an inner tube for the last two years on the front of my truck. I took it off last fall to inspect and gave it a good hosing down with silicone spray. The head of the jack looks like it did new. But on the front I don't get the road grime that the back gets.

buckland said:
Thanks for all advice.
* Where might be the best place to purchase on line...and especially which model?
* Using it as a winch I suspect this means using it with a tow rope? (are there Youtubes on this?
* A lift mate... will have to look into that

Thanks Idahoan for the photos.. perhaps I could make a 2" set up like that and use on my back hitch and a step on top!
I assume the shovel is attached by a clip you made or is that also an attachment to buy.
Do they make the 2" hitch plate with bolts?

Here is one on ebay. I don't know this guy at all. I can't advise him at all just showing what is there I know I made mine by getting ideas off the internet. The first two links has the hitch mount and bolts. Plus it has an anti-rattle pin for the hitch. I made one for mine and I would recommend it highly. I wanted mine a little higher than this type. if you look on my picture you can tell how low these would be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Hi-Lift-Jack-Hitch-Mount-Adjustable-Kit-Pick-Up-Off-Road-SUV-Isuzu-Universal-/231020508613?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c9e535c5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-2-Hi-Lift-Jack-Hitch-Mount-Adjustable-Kit-Pick-Up-Off-Road-SUV-Jeep-A-/190776475188?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b29fe34&vxp=mtr

Jon&Sue_DeArman said:
Remember, when you do a setup like pictured, you limit your approach clearance dramatically. You might be using that shovel and high-lift jack just to get you over the next rock.

My mount would affect the approach angle but not much. If that hung up I don't know that I would want to be there with a camper on the back. The picture of the back mount would indeed affect in small angles.

PaulT said:
I still have hope to find someone locally that can do as good a job as Bosque Bill's mod to his camper steps to carry shovel and jack.
Have the steps, jack, shovel, and monkey clamps. Just need a fairly competent local welder to complete the project.

Anyone know someone competent near Hillsboro Oregon metro area?
Paul

I sent you a PM with someone's info who I use a lot.

Well shoot... I swore I sent in a post this morning and it is gone.... must have been low test coffee... Here it is sort of again.
Big thanks for al the info and links. Great to see the hitch mount... I can see it working fine ...I hope to one day get a new truck and I will install a front receiver as it seems the best load place to put it..... that being said I really like the folding steps of BosqueBill's set up wow ...I gotta do some more practice with the welder.
One other question for Tacoma owners, there are three models of the join lift jack... which one would do the trick? I am not a bells and whistle guy... hill town yankee type. Oh yeah I asked in the 'vanishing post'... if there is a youtube I could watch where the hi lift jack is used as a winch?
Another big (normal) snow storm tonight 12-16"... I am hunkered for the Superbowl and dreaming of gearing up for Spring.

I carry a high-lift and a winch along with a shovel, tow chain and tow straps. My high lift is my go to tool but the only down side is you need strong/reinforced points on the truck to jack from. I have a front and rear hitch (which I can also attach my winch to) and if I need to I use a strap to attach the jack to my rims.

Just be careful with a high-lift they can be scary. I wedge a rolled up spare tow strap between my jack and the truck to protect my paint.

buckland said:
Well shoot... I swore I sent in a post this morning and it is gone.... must have been low test coffee... Here it is sort of again.
Big thanks for al the info and links. Great to see the hitch mount... I can see it working fine ...I hope to one day get a new truck and I will install a front receiver as it seems the best load place to put it..... that being said I really like the folding steps of BosqueBill's set up wow ...I gotta do some more practice with the welder.
One other question for Tacoma owners, there are three models of the join lift jack... which one would do the trick? I am not a bells and whistle guy... hill town yankee type. Oh yeah I asked in the 'vanishing post'... if there is a youtube I could watch where the hi lift jack is used as a winch?
Another big (normal) snow storm tonight 12-16"... I am hunkered for the Superbowl and dreaming of gearing up for Spring.
Go to the Hi-Lift website for all the videos you would like to see. You might want to look at Bogert Manufaturing for their Hi-Lift safety accessories.

My experience and what I do now:
Having my Hi-Lift jack along with me (instead of in my garage at home) would probably have helped me in this incident.
gallery_2431_15_62119.jpg

So now I do carry my Hi-Lift with me on trips, in my camper, in the catch-all storage spot behind the couch. I carry it packed away inside, rather than at-the-ready on the outside, because there had been at least 100,000 miles (probably more) "incident-free" miles without need of the jack...so carrying-convenience is a higher-priority for me than quick access. And it's not like a fire extinguisher that needs to be deployed in seconds to be effective.

To make the Hi-Lift more useful in those rare incidents, I got one of these and carry it, too:
Hi-Lift Jack LM-100 Lift-Mate. If I'd had the jack with me I would have used the it to lift the wheels to chain up the tires or at least lay chains under the tires, and a Lift Mate makes that more efficient than lifting at the bumper.

Lift-Mate.jpg

I also got and carry the Hi-Lift Jack ORB Off-Road Base.
ORB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom