Hide a Key save the embarrassment

Southern Gent

Advanced Member
Well I was Deer hunting a couple weeks back in North Tuscaloosa County Alabama. In the excitement of getting set-up I clinked the automatic door locks and the harsh reality that my keys were still in the ignition flashed through my brain as I hear the door slam. Noting my 1995 truck has after market remote locks and there isn't an Idiot Buzzer when the keys are in the ignition. My Granby was also locked with my tool kit safely inside.

I wasn't in any danger. My hunting buddies were within a mile or so. I was dressed warmly for the 35 degree weather. " We call that Winter here " But I sure didn't want to go tell them or call my wife ( My Cell phone was laying on the front seat ) to bring my extra keys the 60 miles from the house.

Rats.

I thought about breaking the rear side window. Replacement a couple hundred bucks?

I pryed and poked the windows and doors for about 30 miniutes. Keys and Cell Phone safely locked inside and I was outside.

I made a couple wedges out of " Pine Knots " I found from a dead tree. I wedged the Door open at the upper locked corner. I cut a 4 ft long sapling about 3/8" round and pressed the Electric door switch.

Sweet sound this modern technology.

I sat inside the truck, had a cup of coffee and resolved to add a " Hide A Key " on my truck.

My pride restored I told my wife about this a couple weeks later and my Hunting Buddies may hear next year.

I hide a camper key inside the door the the water/electrical outlet on the camper, inside the camper I have a truck key hidden. Its not super secure but I'm not the paranoid type.
Many keys open those little doors and worst case, they pop right open with a screwdriver.

I put a locking magnetic hide a key with truck and camper spares in a certain spot. Saved me from the wife when I got to work one day with BOTH sets in my pocked:eek: and left her without.

Hide and seek

Lately I've taken to getting up way early (recent retirement syndrome) and sometimes I hide my first cup of coffee from myself. I keep a spare on the kitchen cabinet. Our house isn't so big that I can't eventually find both.
What? You've never been lost in the ozone, again?

I've always been a fan of the Ford electronic combo locks. I just leave my keys inside the truck when I'm out at the trail for a run or bike. No worry about locking the keys in :)

Clever how you got in there Southern Gent!

Locking keys in truck or camper....most inconvenient and, yes, i have done it. Now, I do carry two sets of keys, but they are both useless if left in the truck.

Now, i carry one on a lanyard around the neck with just a key to truck or camper. keep the other inside the camper or truck. Lanyard is like a neckless so i don't even think about it. Nice for the late night runs to the bathroom as well. My aftermarket alarm will lock the doors if the engine is on and the doors are closed for a few seconds.....really sucks if I get out to snap a photo or use the roadside facilities. Now, I routinely roll down the window when i know i want to leave the inside of truck with engine on. Bad to lock the keys in.....worse to lock them in with engine running.

Got a hide a key, but don't use all that much. too hard to find when I need it and if too easy to find, so will others.

Like the idea of electronic combo lock. Would be nice......

Happy New years, all

Dave in Seattle

On all my vehicles I wire up a set of keys to something underneath the rig that is barely accessible. They usually end up muddy and corroded but it's paid off in the past.

On my "main" key ring I have a military dog tag with my phone number and PO Box address on it. A couple years ago I lost the keys and several days later they showed up in my PO box. (postage due but kudos to the postmaster and the good samaritan). If you have your house keys on your ring I wouldn't recommend putting your physical address on it, perhaps a neighbor or something. Here's a link to a great guy who makes tags cheap and has very quick service:

http://dogtagsonline.com/

Another trick when hunting with a party is to stash the vehicle keys on top or behind the left front tire. As long as everyone knows where they are it can be a lifesaver in an emergency.

Rob

DD, so what happens if your battery happens to go dead?

There's always that possibility, but it's still nice to have the option of the combo locks. Locking keys in the car is a much more common event than the battery going dead.

On all my vehicles I wire up a set of keys to something underneath the rig that is barely accessible. They usually end up muddy and corroded but it's paid off in the past.

Rob

I keep one zip tied to my frame and smother it with duct tape also. There isn't a washboard road out there that will knock it off!

Good idea.

I keep one zip tied to my frame and smother it with duct tape also. There isn't a washboard road out there that will knock it off!

I used to have one of those magnetic key holders which worked well for many years. It only fell off once...

Back
Top Bottom