High Sierra ski touring

Gormley Green

Contributors
After reading a very appealing article in a magazine recently I am even more inspired to head down to the Sierras for some spring corn at the end of this season. Probably late April/May. From my reading I gather approaching from the E on 395 is the way to go. I know it'll be an easy sell to my copilot if it's sunny like our trip to Tahoe last year at the same time of year. We like the up just as much (ok, almost as much) as the down and are very happy to explore. But a good basecamp where we could stay for 3 or 4 days and ski great terrain within 1-3 hours from the truck would be the best! Hey, maybe we'll even bring the mountin bikes and get some double days. I hope that's not a pipe dream, California definitely didn't disappoint on my one and only trip there thus far.

So....anyone want to give a few ideas to a clueless Canadian? Ski, I'm looking at you... :D

Want to harvest some spring corn? A good place to start with info is Backcountry Skiing California's High Sierra.

The northern Sierra around us is lucky to have an excellent avalanche center and their website is packed full of information - Sierra Avalanche Center

Several others on WTW can also weigh in with possibilities. There are so many places where you can park the truck and ski whatever suits you.

Keep us posted as you put your trip together.

Back when we lived in Reno, we would make a yearly trip down Highway 395 to ski on Tioga Pass once the road going up from Lee Vining that goes into Yosemite park would open. There are numerous places to go from the Dana plateau on the southside or the Saddleback Lake area on the north. Incredible variety of skiing. There are camping places near the road just outside of Lee Vining and in the park. Good skiing can be had on most of the passes going up from 395 but, to me, Tioga is the best. If you are not familiar with it, the Talk forum on telemarktips.com has trip reports from many of the popular spots on the east side and the people there are very receptive to questions. Also, if you go there, there is an incredible restaurant at the Mobil gas station on the Tioga road just outside of Lee Vining. Highly recommended.

Spring corn snow in the Sierra is a ton of fun. I love living in Oregon but miss those spring corn trips. Good luck with your trip - you will have a great time.

Thanks for the tips guys. Off to a great start. I will definitely check out that book Ski. And Steelhead, heck of a 3rd post! Very informative, thank you. Welcome to the site. I'll search around TTips, I'm a casual browser there but not a member. I like the rawness of the TGR forums but I'm afraid to ask questions there :LOL: !!

+2 on Moynier's book on skiing the High Sierra. It's been a solid reference for trips.

If your timing is flexible, the Tioga Pass (10,000' elev.) typically opens by Memorial Day, otherwise there is a locked gate 7 (?) miles below. As mentioned above, the skiing access is fantastic.

Another great area to consider is the Sawtooth Range, just above Bridgeport. There's informal camping near Buckeye Hot Springs on a dirt road that comes off the moraine below Twin Lakes. The couloirs below Matterhorn Peak are great fun.

I'll also recommend Esha Peak, just west of Crowley Lake, for quick access to the goods.
There's a campground near the trail head parking.

The biggest challenge can be getting across the creek next to the trail head.
61186197.jpg

Testing my site built bridge :unsure:

But the payoff is worth it.
61186201.jpg

:D

Awesome photos! Thanks for the advice. I guess due to the use of past tense and your advice, you made it across that sketchy looking bridge! That's exactly the terrain I'm into, looks perfect.

Considering the amazing snowfall we've had almost everyday this month (over 15' so far) I can't believe I'm dreaming about this already!

Keep in mind the snowfall and accessibility varies widely from year to year. Last year was mild but two years ago (on Donner Pass) we had over 30 feet of snow on the ground in late April.

Convict Lake area outside of Bishop has some great skiing. GG, keep us posted on your plans, we're in North Lake Tahoe and are always up for a trip down the east side, planning on doing a bunch of touring down there in the spring.

Convict Lake area outside of Bishop has some great skiing. GG, keep us posted on your plans, we're in North Lake Tahoe and are always up for a trip down the east side, planning on doing a bunch of touring down there in the spring.

Awesome, will do. We bummed around in the Squaw parking lot last year for closing weekend and had an awesome time! Morning corn, 80+ F in the day, and great apres vibes. That was my first trip to CA also. Would be great to link up and take advantage of some local intel if we head down for some spring touring - I will definitely let you know...

Back
Top Bottom