Highland Lakes Crowds/Road

Ronin

Anyone been to Highland Lakes recently?? A friend of mine needs to get out of the house but can only go August 10-12, so I'm wondering how the crowds are up there. I usually drive my Tundra 4x4 on our trips but he wants to take his Honda Element. Anyone know how his car would be on Highland Lakes Road and other roads for some dispersed camping/fishing?

Thanks!!

Ronin,we have driven that road in small SUVs,Ford Escape AMC Eagle.
I have seen some cars use the road that I wouldn't think about driving there.

Most of the road isn't that bad.It's when you get past the "cow camp" that the road gets bad.
But that's only a short distance.I haven't driven back there is several years,so can't give a up to date condition.

It's defiantly a great place to explore/camp/fish though.

Post some pictures when you go.
Frank

Hopefully we can get up there early to snag a nice isolated spot. We'll have our packs so we could always hike in a few miles if there's too many people around. Thanks for the info!!

If you are referring the the area off of Hwy 4, I did it on my motorcycle last year. It wasn't bad. I'd suggest finding a spot along the river on the way there. I was less than impressed with the campgrounds themselves.

dakozicki said:
If you are referring the the area off of Hwy 4, I did it on my motorcycle last year. It wasn't bad. I'd suggest finding a spot along the river on the way there. I was less than impressed with the campgrounds themselves.
Yep- near Ebbett's Pass. Heading up there this Friday. Looking forward to cooler weather and hopefully less smoke.

Back
Top Bottom