Hitch Cargo Carrier

I own a Rola swing out cargo carrier for my F350 w Bigfoot Camper and it works well, it's large and keeps the rain out but it is plastic and the locks are pretty much useless! If I had to do it over again, I would buy a truck bed toolbox and have a metal shop attach it to a piece of 2" square steel to fit into the receiver. Then I could use the toolbox as a step into my camper. The tool boxes are sturdy and would severe a dual purpose as step and cargo carrier. I still may do it, but for the next 2 months I am going to be in the Tacoma so no immediate need.
-AK

I'm in the market too for one of these. I have one right now, but it's a bit too small. Of the two you listed I'd get the second one as it's a bit bigger. Look at the Curt models too as they are pretty nice and USA made.

I use a foldable cargo carrier whichmounts on the front of my truck using a winch mount. Stays folded and holds jerry cans. I will try to post a photo. It is pretty slick. Works well on the front cause the dirt does not get kick up there.

WAND3R3R said:
I own a Rola swing out cargo carrier for my F350 w Bigfoot Camper and it works well, it's large and keeps the rain out but it is plastic and the locks are pretty much useless! If I had to do it over again, I would buy a truck bed toolbox and have a metal shop attach it to a piece of 2" square steel to fit into the receiver. Then I could use the toolbox as a step into my camper. The tool boxes are sturdy and would severe a dual purpose as step and cargo carrier. I still may do it, but for the next 2 months I am going to be in the Tacoma so no immediate need.
-AK
I was looking at the Rola swingarm frame to mount a truck box. Do you feel the Rola swingarm unit is sturdy?

We will see what happens here soon. Went ahead and ordered the Rola swing arm mount and will be mounting a tool box to it. Also going to use an anti rattle hitch pin and see if that helps shore it up. There are a lot of devices made to stabilize a 2" but mine is 2.5. The pin I ordered is the silent hitch pin from Lets Go Aero.

FWIW - I've used a hitch carrier to carry a lot of stuff over the years. Including hundreds of dead wild pigs (I use to work as a hunting guide). In all that time I've never used an anti-rattle stabilizer and I've come to the conclusion they're not needed. The carriers that I had never rattled and I've driven them across thousands of miles of rough ranch roads and down interstates! They've swayed left to right a bit, but it doesn't matter to the hitch or the truck.

I'm sure you are right about that, and I don't think I will be able to notice it with the camper between us anyway. It just looked a little sloppy on the video. I tow all kinds of stuff and have never used one.

If you are going to use it for a step into your camper then I would definitely recommend something to stabilize the carrier. I had one that I hooked some scissor steps to and it was a little scary at times. An easy way to do it is to drill and tap the side of your hitch and put a bolt in as a set screw.

I have the one from Harbor Freight, I try not to shop for the imported stuff but I was in a bind, was elected on short notice to BBQ for my large group of Ski friends. Was able to pack my small Weber Spirit grill and a small cooler on this one http://www.harborfreight.com/capacity-deluxe-steel-cargo-carrier-69623.html

I also had a 25% off coupon so this carrier was $52.00 out the door, seems worth the price, not sure how long it would last if on the rig full time, but the 3 trips we used it on so far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom