Hitch mounted Ski Rack

steve whiteside

Hey everyone, Ive been taking my camper skiing. One thing I needed was external storage for two sets of ski's. I don't like throwing them in the camper with snow on them as well as they get in the way wherever they are placed. Also I didn't want them on the camper roof since it is so tall I needed a ladder to get up there. I was thinking of a slim vertical rack at the back of my camper. Once I got into thinking about the design I also wanted to get my ladder and Maxtracks out of the way. So, one thing or the other my slim rack idea grew in size. Here is what I came up with. Notice that it has a flip over gate to lock my skis inside the rack. Mostly to keep honest people honest. I plan to lock th max tracks and ladder with a cabled bike lock. The wood deck is to help protect the skis. Ive ordered some neoprene tape to further cushion the skis up near the bindings.

gallery_10396_1453_2952944.jpeg

gallery_10396_1453_4061629.jpeg

gallery_10396_1453_3720329.jpeg

gallery_10396_1453_14434.jpeg

Similar to what I used to use. I assume you will be carrying your skis in a ski bag. One issue to think about is not using a ski bag with a zipper. When the bag is encased in ice from traveling it can take a while to thaw the zipper out to get at your skis to go skiing. I made a ski bag that simply folded over and had a cord closure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom