Hoist a Cold One!: Historic Bars of the Southwest

Barko1

This just came out, lists a couple familiar ones in Silverton. So who will be first to visit all 25? I've been to four.

Book Description
Publication Date: July 15, 2011
Throwing a few drinks back at the bar is a timeless tale of humanity. In the American Old West, this tale played out in ramshackle huts and stylish establishments alike in some of the most unforgiving terrain imaginable. While the legendary Crystal Palace in Tombstone, Arizona, had little in common with the tent cities that sprang up in Leadville, Colorado, and Silver City, New Mexico, one common feature was the bars constructed of planks of mahogany, cherrywood, or rosewood. These bars were often hauled across hundreds of miles of rugged terrain to arrive in various cities, where they would support the elbows, chins, and drinks of those who sought to quench their thirst.

From the Grand Hotel in Bisbee to Rosa's Cantina in El Paso, Myke and Melody Groves tell the story of the front and back bars of twenty-five establishments in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado through a combination of historic background and photographs. This lively travelogue, complete with driving directions, will inspire visitors to the West's old mining camps, railroad towns, and ranching centers to stop in and belly up to the bar.

Well, if I was a drinking man and if I had some time on my hands, this would be an erstwhile endeavor. And if my wife told me that since she approved the new camper I'd better put it to good use. I'm thinking a road trip is in order. 25 bars you say? How hard could it be? My home improvement project is nearing completion, so a man needs to set goals and strive to achieve them. Help me out here I'm running out of rationalizations. Anybody? :LOL:

Mike

Well, if I was a drinking man and if I had some time on my hands, this would be an erstwhile endeavor. And if my wife told me that since she approved the new camper I'd better put it to good use. I'm thinking a road trip is in order. 25 bars you say? How hard could it be? My home improvement project is nearing completion, so a man needs to set goals and strive to achieve them. Help me out here I'm running out of rationalizations. Anybody? :LOL:

Mike

Do we see a WTW rally taking shape here? :)

Mike, you remind me of Harold. I'm proud of you. Keep up the good work.

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of others who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither. Harold Schlumberg is such a person:

THIS IS QUOTED FROM HAROLD:

I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'

Well...I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whiskey into urine. It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

I've been to the one in Ouray (where John Wayne's hat resides over the bar) and the Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM where the engineers building the first a-bomb would have lunch. Supposedly, the restaurant staff and town knew all about the bomb because this was the only place to eat for 100mi and they'd talk about it. Times were different, though, even though some press knew, they kept their mouths shut.

I've been to the one in Ouray (where John Wayne's hat resides over the bar) and the Owl Bar in San Antonio, NM where the engineers building the first a-bomb would have lunch. Supposedly, the restaurant staff and town knew all about the bomb because this was the only place to eat for 100mi and they'd talk about it. Times were different, though, even though some press knew, they kept their mouths shut.

The Owl is now the last place in my neck of the woods to get a good green chile cheeseburger. I just went through Carrizozo and found out that the other good place, the Outpost, was closed and for sale. Hope the new owners don't paint over the "Ho-made Chile" sign.

Back to the drinking theme - WTW means Wobble the West?

"Do we see a WTW rally taking shape here? :)"

Maybe a Canon Ball Run type of thing. We pick a time and place in the future and the person that shows up with the most bar T-shirts wins, not to mention being the best dressed. Just a thought

Mike

Craig, a week? Since drinking and driving is not an option this could take several months. Maybe even years. At least for for some folks I've met :rolleyes: Of course that would not apply to any one I've met at any WtW rallies. As I have no recollection of any one drinking, or for that matter I have no recollection of any rallies. :oops: That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mike

I've got zip offs a Tilley and my pencil. I'm soo ready!

Jay, you'd better PM me with your clothing info before this rally. I don't mind if we have matching pencils but to show up in the same color zip-offs and safari shirts would be too much. You can wear whatever color Tilley you want as I don't own one. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom