Home made air conditioner

With a DC fan and pump that would be pretty battery friendly. Good for those nights you just need some help :)

That is great! One could find a small cooler to fit in sink... tall styro would be fine. ... I would think tho that if it is real hot ...not to use the fantastic fan as it would be drawing outside hot air. maybe find a truckers DC fan and less tubing. I like it!

I thought that too after I posted. Better to recirculate

If you have plenty of solar or electrical hookup it may be possible to refreeze the blue ice containers in your fridge. Would be interesting to know how long the ice lasts & whether you could use one of the ebay motor speed controllers to adjust fan speed &/or pump rate to last the night.

Rather than the overhead fan trying to cool hot outside air, a separate fan stirring the cooled air inside with windows and vents closed may be more effective in providing a cooler sleep environment.

Sounds promising.
Paul

My questions are:

Anyone have a good rec on a DC fan of apron. 9" diameter?

Anyone have a good rec. on a DC pump as shown in video?

If so anyone can keep ice in a cooler for a couple days.... this would be great.

For the old timers who remember evaporative coolers ... a desert bag was great and I still use them.
Put some beer cans in a canvas bag which has been soaked in water... keep in shade and hopefully some breeze (while driving is great)... one gets an nice cold beer at the end regardless of the temp.

I'd be asking:
What is the air volume of the interior?
What is the desired temperature drop?
How many BTU's does that equate to?
What is the efficiency of the cooling system?

Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but off the cuff I think you're going to need a lot of ice.

ntsqd said:
Not to throw a wet blanket on this, but off the cuff I think you're going to need a lot of ice.
ROFL ! Yes it would require a lot of ice... and electricity.
If you will notice in the "before" inset the fan was blowing 68-70 degree air ... because he was running his test in an air conditioned house. Also evaporative cooling doesn't work well in humid climes like the deep south. I usually sleep comfortably in the summer by closing all the Windows except the ones by the bed and turning on the fantastic fan at night

Back
Top Bottom