Homebuilt Popup Camper (Tiltin Hilton)

BillM

Just thought I'd share a couple pics of my first popup that I designed and built myself. It was custom built for a 4 banger 4wd 93 Nissan. I hinged it on one side so that we could leave our 65lb canoe on top and still lift it easily. Lived in it for a year with the wife and 95lb lab. Drove all over North America, Baja to Yukon and to the East coast. Used it for another 10 years until we decided to get a new truck. Bought our Eagle for the new truck and love it (now older, weaker and better off financially). So if you're young, strong, cheap and motivated you can still wander comfortably with some sweat equity.

Optimized-IMG_0192.JPGOptimized-IMG_1571.JPG

What wonderful travels Bill, and a great job with putting together your own camper! Thanks for sharing the memories.

Thanks for posting. It brought back fond memories of my twenties with a Datsun pickup and a basic shell spending weeks on end exploring the southwest. Now in my 60's I'm looking forward to my retirement doing the same but with a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a 2001 FWC Grandby Shell model I recently picked up. I'm looking forward to revisiting some of the places form 40 years ago in a little more comfort.

Very cool! I would do this if I was 20 years younger but as with you I am old enough and financially healed enough to let someone else do the building while I do the traveling :)

Back
Top Bottom