Hope Valley off 88 in CA quick note

CALIcamperdad

We were staying in South Lake Tahoe summer week long vacation trip. We ran up 89 to 88 then drove up Hope Valley three weeks ago.

Really interesting area regarding big granite peaks and some wagon train history. PG@E runs the area around Blue Lakes which were down quite a bit but still had decent water in them. The campgrounds were very clean same goes for the basic bathrooms no showers. There were several areas to camp between lower and upper lake. The most interesting spot to camp looked to be the creek camping between upper and lower given most of the sites backed right up to the creek site 18 you would nearly walk right into the creek if you stumbled and took a few extra steps after exiting the back door of the camper.

Just a warning though! Lots of ATV's up in the Upper Lake area given there is a sizable off road trail that leads up the canyon beyond the upper lake. Most of the big ATV rigs were way up at the upper and last campground area at the far end of upper lake.

Really interesting area and the PG@E management clearly did a good job keeping things clean and at a fair price.

As a side note BE WARNED!!! Eldorado Water district which owns the lakes off 88 closer to Kirkwood will pounce on you the second you pull off to either read about the lake history or eye ball the area! It cost me $5 for 5 minutes to see if one of the lakes was of interest for a future visit. $1 a Minute cured me of any interest in visting ANY Eldorado Water district property EVER AGAIN.

Our visit to Blue lakes on PG&E land we were never bothered we stayed and played in the lake with the kids for several hours and I left a day use fee in the box as we left. Happily paying for such a great time and adventure at their lakes.

Hope valley in the fall has some of the best color in the Sierras. Some one is always painting or taking a picture of the cabin as you head west out of the valley.

Bill its funny you say that we were thinking the same given the various types of trees in the valley. Though this year might be a bit of a downer given the valley was really dry for obvious reasons.

Wild life is abundant though. Had a badger cross the road in front of us around 4pm as we were headed back to South Lake Tahoe. Never seen that before! Only other time I've seen a Badger was back country back packing when one ran across the trail a few yards ahead of me one of those split second what was that moments. But this guy took his time crossing the road the kids were really excited to see it.

CALIcamperdad said:
As a side note BE WARNED!!! Eldorado Water district which owns the lakes off 88 closer to Kirkwood will pounce on you the second you pull off to either read about the lake history or eye ball the area! It cost me $5 for 5 minutes to see if one of the lakes was of interest for a future visit. $1 a Minute cured me of any interest in visting ANY Eldorado Water district property EVER AGAIN.
You must have stopped at the new El Dorado Irrigation District's boat launch on the east side of Caples. Most other areas around Caples do not have fees.

Glad you had a good trip and the kids saw a badger.

ski3pin said:
You must have stopped at the new El Dorado Irrigation District's boat launch on the east side of Caples. Most other areas around Caples do not have fees.

Glad you had a good trip and the kids saw a badger.
Ski you nailed it. Pulled in to see what the ramp looked like and they had a large board with various info on it no joke before I even got out of the truck no boat in tow to read the board to see what fees and various info was the Irrigation Dist parking lot pit bull hands me a day use slip with my license plate # on it and tells me where to drop the fee.

40yrs of traveling the West Coast stopping to look at places to see if its a place we want to use or plan on coming back to use NEVER EVER as in NEVER ONCE have I had a fee collection person bill me for just taking a quick look hell we didn't park in a parking spot!

I sent the Eldorado office a note and they did respond. With "Our facility has a day use fee" My response back was 5 minute stop to check your facility out to see if we want to use your facility does not translate to "Day use" Nor did we use ANY Factility services in the 5 minutes we stopped to look at it.

My advice to everyone thinking of visting skip it! Plenty of other lakes owned by other utilties who allow people to come view their facility and decide if they are going to stay and use it or leave before you are required to pay.

CCD,
I have to agree with you that you were billed with extreme enthusiasm. It's SOP for me to do a drive-through of any boating access or campground or picnic area which strikes my fancy while I'm out and about in the country back here in the East. Whenever there's a gatekeeper or a uniformed official in sight, or even a volunteer campground host, I always stop to advise of my intent and my willingness to submit the fee should I elect to use the facility after checking it out (although normally I'm just passing through the area and want to gain intel as may relate to a return trip). I've never had any official tell me I had to pay just because I set foot on the property. I think I'd be raising Cain at the El Dorado Irrigation District, starting with whatever party responded and working my way up to Mr. or Ms. Eldorado themselves. Given that the irrigation district is likely a political subdivision of the State of California, I suppose I would work my way up to the Guv's office at some point. That's sorry, sorry treatment of a citizen, IMHO.

Foy

Good old California. I like to stop and drive through campgrounds that we are going by. May want to stay at a later date. Oregon, Utah not a problem. I have been told NO at several CA state (NF and NP, OK ). One time on the north coast I said you have to be kidding! Oregon just let me drive through, was told it was policy. I said I already had reservation at a CA state campground for the night and just wanted to look. They asked for my reservation and then said I could drive through as I had paid of the day WTF. California does so many things wrong.

*But we still have the world best weather.

Bill

Foy said:
CCD,
I have to agree with you that you were billed with extreme enthusiasm. It's SOP for me to do a drive-through of any boating access or campground or picnic area which strikes my fancy while I'm out and about in the country back here in the East. Whenever there's a gatekeeper or a uniformed official in sight, or even a volunteer campground host, I always stop to advise of my intent and my willingness to submit the fee should I elect to use the facility after checking it out (although normally I'm just passing through the area and want to gain intel as may relate to a return trip). I've never had any official tell me I had to pay just because I set foot on the property. I think I'd be raising Cain at the El Dorado Irrigation District, starting with whatever party responded and working my way up to Mr. or Ms. Eldorado themselves. Given that the irrigation district is likely a political subdivision of the State of California, I suppose I would work my way up to the Guv's office at some point. That's sorry, sorry treatment of a citizen, IMHO.

Foy
Foy same exact approach on my part. I stop and talk to the host or gate keeper glean info like whats the busy weekend how typical is it to be full and turned away, cost? - any favorite spots on the property etc etc. I always get a great response lots of really good info and suggestions along with a you have a few minutes go check it out. If you want to stay swing by and we'll get you set up with a permit etc. And no it has nothing to do with CA and everything to do with the Water District approach to managing their facility.

I have NEVER been treated like that by STATE park employees in CA or for that matter City or County park employees.

I'm also a boater and have driven into lakes like this to check the ramp to see if its anything worth fooling with if I were interested in coming back with the boat. Many ramps especially today with the wicked terrible drought we have can be more of an adventure and risk to one's boat and rig than many are willing to take.

In this case no sign of a watch dog, no gate or front booth its out there in no mans land. There was a 5th wheel clearly parked in a long term parking set up no sign of anyone around. There were three cars in the lot with trailers. I pulled in far enough to take a look at the ramp and stopped next to the main info bulletin board, when MR parking police walks up with a permit already filled out and a clipboard with my license plate on it. No idea which bush this guy was sitting behind but my truck was still in "D" and I had not even exited it yet to go take a closer look at the board with posted fees and info on it. $5 charge to pull in to read their info board regarding ramp fees, ramp hours etc.

Way more than extreme. My two other adult passengers on the way out commented that he better enjoy his $5 beer at the bar tonight. No really it was a clear and obvious shake down.

Sure sounds like some sort of "shake down".
What do you think would have happened if you didn't stop to talk to the "pit bull"?
Would have received some sort of summons in the mail?
Yeh,great way to treat people.
Fortunately these kinds of people are not the norm.

But thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about stopping at Caples Lake to camp.
Now might give it another thought.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Sure sounds like some sort of "shake down".
What do you think would have happened if you didn't stop to talk to the "pit bull"?
Would have received some sort of summons in the mail?
Yeh,great way to treat people.
Fortunately these kinds of people are not the norm.

But thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about stopping at Caples Lake to camp.
Now might give it another thought.
Frank
Never saw him till he was 5 ft from my door. Nothing was said except the drop box is over there I filled it out for you while holding the clipboard with license plates in very clear view. There was nothing to discuss given it was quite clear what his take on the situation was. Yes no doubt 100% had I simply said thank you and left without leaving my $5 donation of charity I would have been sent a nasty county fine er ticket for not paying the "Day USE FEE" and using their faclity which I clearly had not used and had to read their hours and fees after turning over my donation.

As for the Lake its pretty exposed and I doubt it would be that enjoyable to camp at. It only took us about 40 minutes to drive over to Blue Lakes in Hope Valley which is more protected from winds and had more to see. Worth the extra few minutes in my book not counting the Water district behavior at Caples Lake.

They have a similar facility over at Silver Lake, good thing I just cruised through and didn't stop.

EID Contact information - Here

Of course hind sight is twenty twenty....................I would have politely handed the envelope back saying I was not going to use the area. If I received a response I did not consider appropriate, I would have very politely asked his name and wrote it down as he watched. Higher ups would then be politely contacted with the approach that the recreating public should be made to feel welcome. Please contact EID. There are people there interested in your story.

CALIcamperdad said:
Never saw him till he was 5 ft from my door. Nothing was said except the drop box is over there I filled it out for you while holding the clipboard with license plates in very clear view. There was nothing to discuss given it was quite clear what his take on the situation was. Yes no doubt 100% had I simply said thank you and left without leaving my $5 donation of charity I would have been sent a nasty county fine er ticket for not paying the "Day USE FEE" and using their faclity which I clearly had not used and had to read their hours and fees after turning over my donation.

As for the Lake its pretty exposed and I doubt it would be that enjoyable to camp at. It only took us about 40 minutes to drive over to Blue Lakes in Hope Valley which is more protected from winds and had more to see. Worth the extra few minutes in my book not counting the Water district behavior at Caples Lake.
Thanks again for all this info.We have friends who spend time at the Caples resort and were telling us about the campground.
They have been going to the resort for many years and have enjoyed the area.
Staying at the campground is different than what you experienced as far as fees,but it's good to know about the conditions there.
Hope Valley does sound better.We have been on that road many years ago and found it a nice place.
Parked somewhere near Blue Lake and walked to Granite Lake. Very nice but that was at least 15 years ago.
Might have to go back and try Hope Valley this time.
Thanks sorry you got shaken down. I am sure if you would have confronted the "clipboard' guy about the fee it may have turned ugly,but Ski's thoughts would be good.
As I was on our afternoon walk I was thinking about your experience and thought I might have done what Ski suggested. Things like this should not happen.
Frank

ski3pin said:
EID Contact information - Here

Of course hind sight is twenty twenty....................I would have politely handed the envelope back saying I was not going to use the area. If I received a response I did not consider appropriate, I would have very politely asked his name and wrote it down as he watched. Higher ups would then be politely contacted with the approach that the recreating public should be made to feel welcome. Please contact EID. There are people there interested in your story.
Ski that crossed my mind but there are some people you just know are the wrong people to address that way. No need to ask for name pretty sure he is semi permanent seasonal camper living in the 5thwheel parked at the ramp parking lot. Water folks back at the office know exactly who he is. And based on the response from HQ, short of a court order your not getting any other response except pay up. Friendly folks don't fill out your ticket and log your license plate prior to talking with you when you haven't even been in the parking lot for more than 2 minutes or less. I'd even wager had I not seen him walking up and pulled away turned around and left after seeing the boat ramp he probably would have reported my license plate to the local Sheriff who happened to be turning up the road to the Offices up on the hill across from the lake as we were leaving. No really thats the vibe I got from him.

Oh and he was far from the conversational type. Even without the bill being handed to me I really would not expect any sort of enjoyable discussion to occur with that individual he was not exactly peppy and welcoming thats for sure.

Regardless I would avoid the Eldorado Water facilities at their lakes not worth the $1 per minute visit cost.

Thanks for the info CALI. Most of the info shared on this site is about the good places to visit, but it is also useful to know the places that are good not to visit. Avoiding an unpleasant experience leaves more room for the good times.

Back
Top Bottom