Horrible nightmare dealer experience, Tyacke motors, Provo, UT

cerve137

Advanced Member
Hey guys, after all the excellent info and tips I've gained from this site, I feel compelled to share my story about a horrible, nightmare experience I had with a dealer from your neck of the woods. The dealer is specifically Tyacke Motors located in Provo, UT. I dealt directly with Stayton, who is the owner's son or co-owner himself. The truck was listed as totally mint, like new, as nice as they come. I live in Wisconsin and had the truck shipped to me from them. The delivery company they chose was awful, no communication, completely unprofessional and barely spoke English. They were 4 days late, totally rude and knew nothing. The truck arrived and was disgustingly dirty, wreaked of cigarettes and mold and had damage everywhere.
There were nasty dents and scrapes on the roof that weren't disclosed. The driver's side bed side had been bent and pushed in from apparent rock crawling, tires were shot, weak battery, parts and clips missing everywhere, etc... When I crawled underneath, I couldn't even believe what I saw. There was hundreds of pounds of red Utah mud and gravel packed in everywhere in the frame. The gas tank had 4" of mud on top of it! The tow harness was broken and filled with mud. There was a fender liner missing, loose parts, missing hardware, you name it, I found it. There was mud under the carpet, in the dash vents, every nook and cranny was filled. The fuse panels were leveled off with mud, even the rearview mirror was caked with mud. When I pulled the airbox apart, it had obviously been filled with mud, but was left there and it had a new filter. Every electrical plug and harness was filled with mud. It became very obvious upon inspection that they tried to cover all this up with an awful detail job. Because they had used a pressure washer, mud even made its way past rubber seals and gaskets. There was mud inside of the spark plug tubes even. Spare tire was shot, alignment was off, etc... And all of this after lengthy conversations with the owner. He even sent over more pics of the underside of the truck, but conveniently didn't show any of the mud or damage. When I called looking for answers about the late delivery, I was met with attitude, denial of any wrong-doing and was cut short by "good luck with your truck!"

I've spent lots of my life working in and with dealerships of all kinds. I've heard plenty of horror stories, but none quite like my own here. This dealer has been doing business for 25 years, as I was told multiple times in our conversation(s), so maybe this was just a fluke or rare experience, but I thought it was necessary to share my story and hopefully bring some awareness. IMG_0261.JPGIMG_0269.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0279.JPGIMG_0284.JPG

Terrible story. Thanks for sharing even though you had a bad experience you can keep others from falling into the same situation.

Are you stuck with the truck or can you go to the attorney general? I would think you should be able to return the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Cerve137, I would contact the Wisconsin Attorney Generals office first.
The fact that they transported a piece of junk across state lines maybe an issue. Then contact the Utah Attorney General's office. Talk to your bank and see what they can do. Good luck.

Thanks for the comments, advice and thoughts guys. A little more info; I bought the truck with cash paying with a cashier's check from my credit union. The truck is kind of a unicorn of sorts and is very hard to find. It is a 2013 Tundra reg cab 5.7 4x4 long bed sr5 TRD. It took me 3 months looking intensively and a year or so not so much to find it. I have been a detailer/ minor restoration nerd for more than 20 years and while super pissed about what I saw underneath, I wasn't fazed and proceeded to put a quite of bit of time into the truck. I pulled almost everything apart and cleaned and cleaned. Every electrical connection was pulled apart, cleaned and dielectric grease applied. Other than the mud and missing parts, I can find no mechanical faults with the truck. No lights, everything works perfectly, good compression test. I plan to change every fluid anyway as that is my usual regimen for buying a used vehicle. So with all this being said, I honestly am torn. I'm leaning toward keeping it, and haven't corresponded with the dealer since. I got a decent deal on the truck and as previously stated this truck is near impossible to find.

Hello-cerve137
You might be inclined to keep the truck, however what about others who might get the same personalized service you got. You posted up to do what vent, notify others of bad representation. Would you have purchased the truck if you found this post from someone else warning of a disreputable seller?

Not saying you should not keep the truck, understand being torn, maybe a letter to BBB.
Luck Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hello-cerve137
You might be inclined to keep the truck, however what about others who might get the same personalized service you got. You posted up to do what vent, notify others of bad representation. Would you have purchased the truck if you found this post from someone else warning of a disreputable seller?

Not saying you should not keep the truck, understand being torn, maybe a letter to BBB.
Luck Russ
I've filed a complaint with BBB, left a google review, and a yelp review. I just really wanted to bring some awareness to the situation. This dealer is in the heart of where the lion's share of this forum recreates and they seem to sell a lot of Toyotas which this forum is very heavy on. I love and respect this forum and have greatly benefitted from its resources and terrific members. While my intent was not to ruffle any feathers here, it was merely to share my story as a small means to give back.

Hi cerve137
Sorry if I came across as ruffled feathers. I'm new here also I was confused as your post, it seemed like I got abused but I don't want to do anything about it. You have done something, and thought members here needed to know. I get it now.
Lot said for typing, but much can be lost that a conversation doesn't have those problems.
Russ

Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Cerve137, you probably can use the VIN# to find the original owner who would probably share history like flood etc. If it was in a flood you might get legal restitution and still keep the truck. I would continue to peruse legal options. jd

Sure looks like a flood truck to me. If you determine it is, you should assume "nothing but problems" down the road (no pun intended).

That said, here in NC the purchaser of any used vehicle (from a dealership) signs a form explicitly acknowledging the "as is, no warranty" status of the transaction. In this state, unless you were lied to, in writing, about the truck's history, you've got yourself a truck, whether it's what you were expecting or not. And even if you were lied to in writing, the "as is, no warranty" agreement normally trumps prior statements about condition.

There are a lot of take-homes here, and IMHO "buyer beware" is at the top of the list. I've paid for old IH Scouts sight unseen and even had one shipped to me, but those were $400-$1,200 transactions when I knew going in the truck can't be but so good. I personally can't imagine purchasing an expensive vehicle in that manner. Maybe that's just the old Scottish savage in me...........

Foy

Cerve 137. I think at least in Ca,a vehicle that has been in a flood has to carry a "salvage" title.
Just like a vehicle that was totaled than fixed up to resell.

Yes this is a truck that you have hunted for and found but somewhere along the line something happened to the truck that wasn't disclosed to you.
Did you see any video of the truck from the dealer?
In 2011 I was looking for a 1st gel Tundra. I found one at a dealer 200 miles away.
After talking to them on the phone they sent me a "cell phone" video walk around of the truck,so I knew what they were selling and what I was getting.
IMO I think you have to let some people with power over dealers like this know of your problem and concerns.
Gool luck with the truck.Hope it all works out.
And thanks for the heads up.
Frank

Utah AG sent me to division of consumer protection and motor vehicle enforcement division. I'll update with new info. Thanks again for the tips, advice and support.

As a Utah resident, I'm sorry you got a bum deal and wish you the best in getting your money back or the truck made right. It sounds like it truly was misrepresented. Utah truly is the wild west.

ski3pin said:
I'm curious what the carfax report said about the vehicle's history.
Carfax was clean and clear, one owner, no issues. No longer the gold standard with plenty of ways to not report.

The dealer has offered me a $1000 refund through negotiations with Better Business Bureau, grossly down-played all my claims and said I was exaggerating everything. The BBB has since closed the case citing my unwillingness to come to an agreement. The dealer has since flooded his own google reviews from his friends, I assume, to bury my negative review and has had my yelp review removed somehow. The plot thickens...

Back
Top Bottom